Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
Ways to stop spam, detect robotic activity, and actually harm the spam trade, as well as how it works, how to circumvent filters, etc. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Animated CAPTCHA
Posted by: christ1an
Date: April 10, 2007 07:35PM

Hi,

Is there anybody who has some experiences in assuring CAPTCHAS against automatic character recognizing? While searching for useful information on this I found out that most CAPTCHAS (I'd even say more than 80%) are automaticly solveable and those who are more difficult for programs tend to be difficult for human beings as well.

Now what I'm wondering is how secure animated CAPTCHAS actually are. Given what I as a newbie on this matter have read so far, I don't think it's much more difficult to solve those than it is to solve non-animated ones.

Have a look at this page please: http://www.animierte-captcha.de/
There you see some examples of animated CAPTCHAS. The site states that the images are secure because they never show the whole string but only one part, however I'd say that those strings underneath the animation are easy to determine[. ____Can't a program just take a shot of the image, wait about half a second, make another shot, put those two together and then go on working on them?____If anybody knows more on this, please let me know.__Regards,__- http]] Web Application Security 2.0

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Animated CAPTCHA
Date: April 10, 2007 09:18PM

or just save the gif and extract all the frames and seeing the text doesn't change just the portion covering it up it wouldn't be hard to find out the value. This method I would say is less secure because its easier to break.

Posted by: SW
Date: April 11, 2007 10:12AM

They need to start having art (pictures, writing, or speaking) related questions in the pictures since computers definitely can't solve those.

Posted by: Kyran
Date: April 11, 2007 10:56AM

SW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They need to start having art (pictures, writing,
> or speaking) related questions in the pictures
> since computers definitely can't solve those.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but, if we start doing this, we get into the simplicity versus cultural references issue.
If we ask in a captcha-like image, what color is the sky?, a bot with a database and a slightly more complex series of algorithims, could answer it.
But, if we get more complex into things a bot couldn't solve as easily, such as How many Emmys did the person who won the most Emmys, win and who was it? It's a rather cultural question and while a large portion of North America might know, someone in Hungary may be less inclinded to keep up with those sorts of things.

- Kyran

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: April 12, 2007 08:46AM

Oh man the whole captcha thing is just going way too far... bizarre arms race.

Animated captchas, flash captchas, audio captchas...
http://www.ejeliot.com/pages/2

What comes next? Snailmail captchas? SMS captchas? "Enter the real size of you foot that we just googled out"-captchas?

Date: April 12, 2007 01:05PM

mime captchas!, figure out what he is doing. Climbing a rope? Making a box?

Posted by: rsnake
Date: April 15, 2007 01:55AM

Yah that animated CAPTCHA is ridiculously easy to solve - one of the easiest I've ever seen as a matter of fact.

But the audio CAPTCHA is not an arms race issue - it's for people who are visually impaired.

- RSnake
Gotta love it. http://ha.ckers.org

Posted by: jungsonn
Date: April 17, 2007 05:07AM

@CrYpTiC_MauleR

haha that's actually a very fun idea!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.