Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
Ways to stop spam, detect robotic activity, and actually harm the spam trade, as well as how it works, how to circumvent filters, etc. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
New Spam Technique?
Posted by: inzomiac
Date: March 31, 2008 10:15PM

Do you know new spammer techniques that is being used now a days? hope you can share them with me since I'm doing a simple research about it.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Spam Technique?
Date: April 01, 2008 05:52PM

I've begun to receive text message spam on my cell phone account O.O
Supposedly I've been crushed on by someone, and all I got to do is visit a link to see who it is.

Posted by: Gareth Heyes
Date: April 01, 2008 06:20PM

@inzomiac

Post your email address and we'll show you

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.";
labs : [www.businessinfo.co.uk]
blog : [www.thespanner.co.uk]
Hackvertor : [hackvertor.co.uk]

Posted by: tx
Date: April 01, 2008 07:28PM

@Gareth: lol
@inzomiac: I was going to inform you about this amazing Green Package with two level referral plan I've heard about :P
Instead I'll be somewhat helpful:
One thing I've been seeing a lot recently are scans for specific php mailing list management software and attempts to get them to send spam messages. The scans don't seem to be targeted (since they are requests for software that's not even present on the target).

-tx @ lowtech-labs.org

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2008 07:28PM by tx.

Posted by: inzomiac
Date: April 02, 2008 01:41AM

I can create a temporary email and I can give that to you ^_^

Posted by: id
Date: April 03, 2008 12:10AM

there is no one new spam technique; the newest effective strategy change was for compromised home machines to use their designated relay host to forward spam instead of directly connecting to the victim's mail server directly. It is causing issues, and is mostly the responsibility of ISPs to defeat by keeping track of user activity on their network and shutting down their customers compromised machines.

It was a necessary change for spammers since large ISPs such as COX force their customers to go through relay servers (which is a good thing for most of the unwashed masses), but now they need to do checks on how many emails are transferring per min, or whatever metric works best.

There are good and bad aspects to the change.

Good:
large ISPs (some) are being (somewhat) responsible about their users spamming the internet, forcing the spammers to use new techniques.

The larger the ISP the easier it is to target, the responsible ISPs put further burden on spammers because compromising large, easy to compromise targets aren't as easy to use now.

Bad:
The prize is still way way way bigger than the blocks that have been put in place.

11 beers is more than what makes a reasonable comment from me.

-id

Posted by: fragge
Date: April 03, 2008 12:14AM

Here's a good one:

Insert advertisements into a webappsec forum for shoes - you can get 2 levels of referalls!

Posted by: tx
Date: April 03, 2008 02:03AM

FYI: Rs=500

-tx @ lowtech-labs.org

Posted by: thrill
Date: April 03, 2008 11:33AM

I've been saying this for a while, but the time has come to set up spam filtering on outgoing messages as well as incoming ones.. period.

--thrill

---

It is not the degrees you hold, but the mind you possess. - thrill

Posted by: fragge
Date: April 03, 2008 05:42PM

tx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FYI: Rs=500

For both the the "Direct Refer" and the "sub refer"?? That's amazing!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.