Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
This group should mostly be dealing with how web applications enable networking security issues that are otherwise not there. Everything is being tunneled over port 80 now so what does that enable and how do we fix it? 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
ISP Questions
Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: October 11, 2007 10:27AM

Since I'm not savy on how ISP's handle stuff these days, I do have a few questions that kept me pondering a couple of times. Let me explain;

I do alot of development, and as a result I need to connect alot with FTP MySQL rapidly and constantly. Sometimes I have remote connections every 5 seconds for 6 or 7 hours. Now, the thing is sometimes when I get too many connections -i guess- full connection to the remote server is lost, all, so FTP, HTTP, MySQL everything. I really have to shut down all browsers and terminals and wait about 10 minutes to make a new connection.

IO noticed that when I ping from a route server in Asia or America the site isn't down, my connection seems to throttle. So, is this being done at my ISP? like preventing TCP flooding? I have no idea, really want some answers on this.

Okay, next question. I have setup my router very strict. This means that any portscanning will be dropped. But, just a moment ago I try to use a remote service to connect back to me and do some portscanning. Guess what happened? my connection was lost and had to reboot the router. Is this also done on the side of the ISP? or is it because of my strict router settings?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ISP Questions
Posted by: id
Date: October 11, 2007 03:38PM

What kind of router and what kind of firewall are you using, and what is your host OS?

-id

Date: October 12, 2007 07:48AM

I have a Zyxel Prestige 2000 switched on 2 WinXP running.

No Firewall at all, only the router.

Date: October 12, 2007 08:20AM

I would bet it's your router. ZynOS is a pos OS that runs on the router, I've discovered at least 2 DOS exploits on them, and there's been a lot more. Try upgrading the firmware on it, or buy something that doesn't suck.

you can check the version by logging in and typing

sys version

You can also just reboot it as soon as you have a lockup and if the network comes back right away after the reboot you've probably found the problem.

-id

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2007 08:22AM by id.

Date: October 12, 2007 09:43AM

Thanks id, interesting nfo.

yes I got the router for free :) any suggestions for a good router brand?

Date: October 12, 2007 01:13PM

Depends on what kind of connection you have. If you just are terminating a DSL line or Cable, don't use those for routers, just modems. Then buy a real firewall, or better yet, install openbsd on an old box and use it to route and firewall.

I don't have much experience with consumer level firewalls though, so I don't have any good suggestions. Cisco and Juniper are probably a bit overpriced for your application...

-id

Date: October 13, 2007 09:09AM

Good idea, would be nice to set that up on a rainy afternoon. I'll keep it in mind!

Posted by: Malkav
Date: January 08, 2008 04:27PM

a VPN/Router/IPBX and whatever is basically a PC with shitload of ASICs or FPGAs to handle the computationally heavy stuff (packet mangling, cyphers, trying to load your BGP route table without dying on the size) (and i am talking of *routers* here, thoses which can handle a few GB/s without puking on themselves, not the stripped-down-super-duper-proprietary stuff that Linksys, BeWAN and others call "SOHO routers". routing anything through them has has much sense has routing it through your smartphone.)

so if you want to really know what's going on, go get a computosaurus, install PFsense/OpenBSD/Linux/whatever you want on it.

though for the sake of size, ALIX board with PFsense on it makes a great little firewall/router, but don't expect to much of it.

Date: January 08, 2008 05:34PM

It's for his home network, an ALIX box is even fine for most small offices, he'll be fine with something that small.

-id

Date: January 24, 2008 05:48AM

This is so fucking annoying... again another client, I can open up 2 connections, I try a 3rd one and have to wait for 15 minutes, while TOR still can reach it. All my other servers work like a charm, I have about 25 FTP/HTTP servers running, and none are experiencing this. Only the ones of my clients.

pretty strange, have to reboot the router each time then it works again. Time for a new one I guess...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2008 07:39AM by Ronald.

Posted by: MAdhaTTer-240
Date: July 09, 2008 11:00AM

id Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Depends on what kind of connection you have. If
> you just are terminating a DSL line or Cable,
> don't use those for routers, just modems. Then buy
> a real firewall, or better yet, install openbsd on
> an old box and use it to route and firewall.
>
> I don't have much experience with consumer level
> firewalls though, so I don't have any good
> suggestions. Cisco and Juniper are probably a bit
> overpriced for your application...

Yes, absolutely. There is a tons of homebrew "crap" that is superior to prefab ISP devices. I have a router from the ISP, it is crap when I make too many outbound connection. That may be your problem...

I am swapping it out with a homebrew firewall/router (details omitted of course...)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.