Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
For 802.11 and bluetooth security people alike. Latest trends, attack surface issues, and prevention. How wireless security is becoming the new vector to hacking corporate websites and applications. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Sharing Wireless Securely
Date: September 11, 2008 08:00PM

I have a secured wireless router suing OpenWRT that I would like to share with a 2nd person. How would I let them have wireless access where they can not snoop in on on my ethernet or wireless connection? I was thinking of using RADIUS or certificates, but are there any other ways this can be done? I am trying to get this done for my mom from 3,000 miles away so let's not be too complex so she can easily be guided through the setup =oP Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sharing Wireless Securely
Posted by: ntp
Date: September 12, 2008 11:37AM

yum install openvpn

Date: September 12, 2008 06:16PM

So OpenVPN will work for this setup?

1 DSL line

1 router using OpenWRT

2 users
user1 - desktop (ethernet)
user2 - laptop (wireless)

I want it so that user1 can access the internet and not have user2 eavesdrop on the connection or vice versa. So user1 has their own encrypted connection to internet and user2 has their own encrypted connection. Both will be sharing the same DSL through router but neither will be able to see what the other is doing on network.

Posted by: id
Date: September 12, 2008 07:00PM

You need to create 2 networks internally, let the users on different ones.

/----- Your Mom (Wired network 192.168.1.0/24)
INTERNET ---|
\----- Wireless User (Wireless network 192.168.2.0/24)

Make sure that Wireless User is firewalled from your Mom.

OpenVPN adds nothing except you could keep Wireless User from being sniffed, but who cares if they aren't your Mom...

-id

Date: September 12, 2008 10:36PM

>> OpenVPN adds nothing except you could keep Wireless User from being sniffed, but who cares if they aren't your Mom...

Personally I don't care either, just trying to keep my mom's data safe from being snooped on by a tenant. Thanks for the quick and simple answer!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.