Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
Q and A on cross site request forgeries and breaking into sessions. It's one of the attacks that XSS enables and the attack of the future. For Session, fixations, hijacking, lockout, replay, session riding etc.... 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Nonce evasion
Posted by: dragunov
Date: May 27, 2009 06:50AM

Hey Guys

I am new to sla.ckers.org. I have been trying to find the answer to a question.
In the clickjacking paper by rsnake on http://www.sectheory.com/clickjacking.htm, he has said that "Nonce evasion requires that the browser somehow gains access to data in another domain.". I dont understand this, because why would I want to gain access to data in another domain if the nonce is taken from the same domain on which I am performing CSRF. Also, can't this nonce evasion be done if there is an xss issue in the transaction against which I am performing the CSRF.

Thanks
dragunov

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nonce evasion
Posted by: Gareth Heyes
Date: May 27, 2009 08:28AM

@dragunov

If there's a XSS issue then CSRF isn't needed because you can access the domain and content. However if there aren't any XSS holes then information disclosure on parts of the site can reveal tokens (Nonces).

If you combine this with minor browser issues you can get tokens from sites without breaking SOP. A good case study for this is the MyOpenID exploit I did a few years ago.

http://www.thespanner.co.uk/2007/06/29/openid-security-issues/

Here I use a vulnerability in Safari to steal the contents of a url cross domain, MyOpenID stored the token in the url which made this possible.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.";
labs : [www.businessinfo.co.uk]
blog : [www.thespanner.co.uk]
Hackvertor : [hackvertor.co.uk]

Date: May 28, 2009 11:48AM

@Gareth Heyes
Thanks for the quick reply.
If there is an xss issue, I will be able to access the content on that domain;very true. Correct me If I am wrong, But for performing an arbitrary transaction on the site (even if there is an xss issue in the transaction) I would still have to do a CSRF; isnt that correct??
Thanks
dragunov

Posted by: lightos
Date: May 28, 2009 01:31PM

@dragunov

XSS is really all you need. You can perform requests simply by submitting the form or use XHR to GET/POST whatever arbitrary transaction you want.

Date: May 29, 2009 10:02AM

@lightos
I completely understand ur point. We can perform requests by submitting the form or use XHR to GET/POST any arbitrary transaction. But I am still confused cause this action will still use the session of the authenticated target user to be successful, and it wont work if we dont target an authenticated user; so arent we still riding the session and that is what CSRF is.
Thanks
@dragunov

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2009 10:05AM by dragunov.

Posted by: Gareth Heyes
Date: May 29, 2009 10:18AM

@dragunov

If the application was vulnerable to XSS then you could pass the session data or whatever using Images or any remote request. If the application wasn't vulnerable to XSS then the CSRF attack would only work if there are no tokens or the token can be accessed in some way like my previous post stated.

You could define XSS and CSRF as the same technique however it's possible to perform CSRF without the need for scripting so I think it makes sense to discuss them separately.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.";
labs : [www.businessinfo.co.uk]
blog : [www.thespanner.co.uk]
Hackvertor : [hackvertor.co.uk]

Date: May 29, 2009 12:00PM

Hey all
all right
I got the point rsnake was trying to make(actually I was taking the concept in the wrong context).
@Gareth Heyes
Thanks for the reply.
Your point that CSRF attack would only work if there are no tokens or the token can be accessed in some way is perfectly true.
thanks and Cheers!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.