Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
Who's got it? Who's giving it away? How to protect your privacy and steal it from other people. For intellectual privacy, personal privacy, and blackhats alike... 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
JS FireFox Extension Detection
Posted by: unsticky
Date: March 21, 2007 02:22AM

While I was experimenting with some of the javascript variables, I stumbled upon ways to detect a few FireFox plugins, as long as they're enabled. Though, I'm not entirely sure what good this is, I thought I'd throw my two cents in, since rsnake's posted on this sort of thing atleast a few times.

IE Tab:
IE Tab acts not only as an extension, but also a plugin, so it shows up under navigator.plugins. As far as I can tell, it always takes index of 0, bumping the 'Mozilla Default Plug-in' upto 1, which makes detection a bit easier, since you don't necessarily need a loop to find it. So, here's what IE Tab supplies under its plugins entry:
navigator.plugin[0] = [object Plugin] {
  0 = [object MimeType]
  length = 1
  description = IE Tab Plug-in developed by Hong Jen Yee
  filename = npietab.dll
  name = PCMan's IE Tab Plug-in for Mozilla/Firefox
  item = function item() { [native code] }
  namedItem = function namedItem() { [native code] }
}
Simple enough, but there's more. See the [object MimeType] bit? I printed out the navigator.mimeTypes array to see if IE Tab had an entry there as well, and sure enough it did; Index 0 again, too.
navigator.mimeTypes[0] = [object MimeType] {
  description = npietab
  enabledPlugin = [object Plugin]
  suffixes = ietab
  type = application/ietab
}

FireBug:
FireBug's very simple to detect, because it creates all new entries in the window object array. So, all you have to do is check if any of the added objects exist. This is the list of objects I was able to find, that're associated with FireBug (aka. they disappeared when it was disabled):
• window.console
• window.__firebug__
• window.addEventListener
• window.removeEventListener

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2007 02:55AM by unsticky.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: JS FireFox Extension Detection
Posted by: ma1
Date: March 21, 2007 05:35AM

unsticky Wrote:

> • window.addEventListener
> • window.removeEventListener

These are definitely firebug-independent: http://developer.mozilla.org/it/docs/DOM:element.addEventListener

You will detect them also in Opera, Safari and any other DOM Lev 2 compliant browser :)

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.