Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
Who's got it? Who's giving it away? How to protect your privacy and steal it from other people. For intellectual privacy, personal privacy, and blackhats alike... 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
How does one protect themselves?
Posted by: senkors
Date: January 16, 2007 06:41AM

How should one protect themselves while testing XSS/SQL Injections on sites? Proxy? At this stage my experimentation is purely educational, and intentions, not malicious. However, I'd rather expand my knowledge with some peace of mind that I won't face charges. :]

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How does one protect themselves?
Posted by: rsnake
Date: January 16, 2007 01:46PM

Protect yourself from what exactly? Being detected or inadvertently running your own script or breaking the website or what?

- RSnake
Gotta love it. http://ha.ckers.org

Posted by: senkors
Date: January 16, 2007 08:15PM

Sorry, my first post was slightly ambiguous; I meant from being detected. Eg. If you were testing XSS/SQL Injection, do you do anything to prevent yourself being detected? Just take the 'measure twice, cut once' type approach to limit the number of queries made? Or would these go unnoticed on most real-world systems? As you've probably already noticed, I'm somewhat new to this area of web dev. :]

Thanks.

Posted by: rsnake
Date: January 16, 2007 09:09PM

The simplest answer is to use Tor. Unlike a proxy Tor doesn't give up X-Forwarded-For or Via headers. But as far as the number of requests, on most servers the point at which you will get noticed is the point at which their detection mechanism takes over. The larger the website the less likely they are to notice a single request unless a WAF or other security system is there monitoring the traffic looking for that one malicious request. Obviously the more you test the more likely you will run into something that sets of a flag (rate limiting if nothing else). High velocity tests can be dangerous both to the application and the server itself, but they also provide the fastest means of doing auditing. Lower intensity can have the same effect only it flies below the wire.

There is a tactic called "low and slow" where you search for one thing on one day then another thing on another day and so on. It breaks a lot of correlation systems that have a very short timeout window between attacks. Of course clean your cookies, and don't allow any tracking software to fingerprint your machine (flash, Java, etc...). Don't do any sort of recon from your computer before you turn on Tor. Matching up specific times to files can correlate you to the Tor session.

That's a small slice of what you need to do to hide your traffic, but it's probably good enough for starters. As you get that stuff down, come back and ask for more and we can throw more in your lap.

- RSnake
Gotta love it. http://ha.ckers.org

Posted by: sharoncreech
Date: January 18, 2007 12:12PM

Except TOR you can use chain of proxy servers.
Using chain of 2-3 proxies make almost impossible to trace user back.
Good list could be find on ProxyBlind Free Proxy Server List.
There are also some shareware service like Ghostsurf, Steganos Internet Anonym VPN or SecurSurf.
All 3 products provide encrypted virtual tunnel between your computer and one of their high bandwidth security proxy servers.
What your ISP could see is only encrypted connection to their server. They do not know actual destination.

Anonymous Free Proxy Server List | Proxy List | Anonymous Proxy | Proxy Forum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2007 12:16PM by sharoncreech.

Posted by: jungsonn
Date: January 18, 2007 02:31PM

Are these elite proxies you have sharoncreech?

Posted by: backbone
Date: January 23, 2007 04:41AM

I would recommend using TOR in combination with a proxy from www.antiproxy.com and www.projectbypass.com <- logs you

---
blog [-] microblog

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.