Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
Who's got it? Who's giving it away? How to protect your privacy and steal it from other people. For intellectual privacy, personal privacy, and blackhats alike... 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Trouble Using SSL with Usenet (stunnel?)
Posted by: idisappear
Date: November 26, 2012 08:40AM

I hope to get SSL working for Usenet while using Windows 7, including both traditional newsreading (text posts) and posts where someone uploads NZB files. I'm using Astraweb. The info Astraweb provides for SSL is ssl.astraweb.com on ports 443 or 563.

Note that I have no problem downloading nzb files from binsearch.info and downloading their corresponding contents via SSL with sabnzbd or binreader, but neither of those programs can read regular text posts.

PAN did exactly what I want with the exception that it was through a non-SSL connection. It was able to download headers to let me access text posts, and when I double-clicked on an NZB-post the desired file would download in sabnzbd.

After a bit of Googling, I saw that people used stunnel with PAN newsreader and simply modified the configuration file (stunnel.conf) to achieve SSL while on Linux. I downloaded and installed stunnel for Windows (stunnel-4.54-installer.exe) but I do not know how to get it working. Do I need to buy a certificate or something? Or use PGP? I am stuck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2012 08:42AM by idisappear.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trouble Using SSL with Usenet (stunnel?)
Posted by: id
Date: November 27, 2012 11:35AM

Probably best to ask this question on the stunnel or PAN website, I'm not familiar with PAN at all, mostly because I am lazy and don't ever use Usenet anymore.

-id

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.