Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
Who's got it? Who's giving it away? How to protect your privacy and steal it from other people. For intellectual privacy, personal privacy, and blackhats alike... 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Safe Spoofing
Posted by: idisappear
Date: March 21, 2012 03:02PM

Assume the goal is to be anonymous. Suppose a person goes far away from their home to use public Wi-Fi with a portable device. It seems that without any attempt to spoof the MAC address, the manufacturer and NIC information makes it possible to identify a user.

Proxies might have tracers jumping through a few extra hoops, but how can the MAC address be safely spoofed? Spoofing the MAC on Linux or FreeBSD can be done with ifconfig, but is this enough?

Is there a way for a tracer to counter that type of MAC spoof and access the hardware network card? If there is, then what precautions can be taken to avoid it? If the anonymizer is logged in for a shorter period of time, does this help anonymity?

If a person can not be identified with the portable device itself, this is also helpful for the anonymizer. Are netbooks and laptops normally permitted by sellers to be exchanged for cash without requiring disclosure of personal information?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Safe Spoofing
Posted by: id
Date: March 21, 2012 05:45PM

buy a cheap laptop off of your local crackhead.

but yes, spoofing the mac is all you need. The mac address doesn't pass the local gateway, so only where you are can see it, and it's not like your local coffee shop logs anything. Might want to wear a disguise though, because they do keep a video record.

-id

Posted by: idisappear
Date: March 21, 2012 07:47PM

lul I dig the crackhead idea.

Do you think cameras are mostly inside the building and aimed at drive-through service areas? What about parking lots? I think McDonald's, Home Depot, Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, libraries, motels, and businesses increasingly offer Wi-Fi. Think parking a car in the parking lot less risky? If using a laptop in a parked car is suspicious, maybe a cell phone with internet access would be less obvious. Aren't there long-range Wi-Fi antenna for laptops? I don't why this is fun to think about.

Posted by: id
Date: March 22, 2012 08:35AM

walmart has pay as you go g3 hot spots for sale, just pay cash. Don't use it for 3 months (wild guess at the max time they would keep video).

-id

Posted by: Skyphire
Date: June 18, 2012 06:08PM

Buy a dozen 20$ cellphones with WIFI, attach a long life battery pack and bury them under the ground at 12 different WIFI hotspots and then dial into them proxing through the hotspot with a cheap-ass laptop. That's it I guess.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.