Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
Who's got it? Who's giving it away? How to protect your privacy and steal it from other people. For intellectual privacy, personal privacy, and blackhats alike... 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
MOHA
Posted by: Wolf1989
Date: December 04, 2007 11:05PM

Hey,
I am going to college and as most colleges do, ports for playing games online are blocked. I unblocked the two ports needed for medal of honor airborne (the game I want to play) but it still doesn't work. A friend of mine told me to get proxifier but I have no idea how to play the game through it. If anyone knows of the settings I need to use, I would seriously appreciate it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MOHA
Posted by: or51c
Date: December 06, 2007 11:46PM

Hate to break it to you, but its hard to play high-bandwidth games through an open proxy. How did you manage to 'unblock' the ports necessary? Switch to port 80 outgoing or something similar?

Proxy's work by playing a man in the middle, where you send your data to the proxy, and the proxy than sends the data to where it was intended to go. The route from your computer to the proxy is usually the only problem, along with the bandwidth. Most proxy servers have low bandwidth for the amount of users it takes on. Because of this, the game would be very very laggy. Upwards of 2 second delays most likely.

Hope this helps you to understand how a proxy works... as for getting the settings in the game itself, if there is a proxy setting on the game, it would be the best. The other solution is to have all your web traffic go through the proxy. Slow at times, but will extend to the game.

Best of luck,
or51c

Posted by: darknessends
Date: December 08, 2007 12:13PM

I think you can use TOR ( onion routing ) for this purpose if the overall bandwidth is quite high like above 4Mbps. At times when your college fellows sleep you will get maximum share of bandwidth and thus TOR will give you a good speed. Latency will be there for sure still you can play.
However TOR network discourages such uses, it prefers low bandwidth usage such as surfing. Still you can always do that untill you like following ethics.
You can use Vidalia for windows to use Tor.

Tor
http://www.torproject.org/
Vidalia
http://vidalia-project.net/

Posted by: id
Date: December 08, 2007 01:24PM

probably have more luck on a gaming site, I'm sure there are a million other gamers with your same exact problem.

I'd go buy the local network admin some beer...

-id

Posted by: Wolf1989
Date: December 10, 2007 08:12PM

Thanks for all the input, I'm trying several things now (including what you mentioned) and hopefully will make some progress. For most proxy programs to work it seems they need a server or ip adress that the game uses online, but I have no idea what it needs.

Posted by: thornmaker
Date: December 10, 2007 09:54PM

Try running a network sniffing program like wireshark while starting the game and you'll see what IPs you're connecting to.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.