Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
Who's got it? Who's giving it away? How to protect your privacy and steal it from other people. For intellectual privacy, personal privacy, and blackhats alike... 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
I've found a common security flaw in websites... That gives away juicy personal info, billing addresses.....
Posted by: Jeffuk
Date: October 14, 2007 07:28AM

and other usefull contact information..

Using this, a scammer could VERY easily phone a site's customers, pretending to be from that site, and ask to confirm credit card details, or anything they need to 'double check' that could be used for ID theft etc. (Who would argue if you buy from a site, and then they phone you within 5 minutes, even I probably would fall for that)

the thing is, they all have the simplest flaw with them ... here's an example, identifying marks stripped for now:

I log in an go to change my contact details, it takes me to a form, populated with my existing details, which I can change and submit,
https://www.FOO.com/account/edit_profile.asp?s=1&pid=29436 so far so good.

however.... if I change the PID value +1 or -1 .... I get someone elses personal details pre-populating the form.

Quickest ID theft EVER :)

I've found 3 sites withoout even looking for them (sites I had a real reason to use and happened to notice the 'CUST=' or 'PID=' in the URL)... how many more must there be out there? Has anyone else noticed this pattern, it seems to be pretty common; I bet I could find 5 more sites that suffer from it in under an hour....

(wait one, I'll check :D )

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I've found a common security flaw in websites... That gives away juicy personal info, billing addresses.....
Date: October 14, 2007 07:34AM

Found another...

On another site I use regularly... This time when you go to checkout it populates a form with your profile delivery address, based on a URL variable...

this is too easy..

Re: I've found a common security flaw in websites... That gives away juicy personal info, billing addresses.....
Posted by: w0ts0n
Date: October 16, 2007 07:59AM

Which websites? I want to try this out for myself..

Date: October 16, 2007 07:35PM

Local ISP's billing website in my town also has this problem. They have the account number in the URL and its incremental.

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: October 16, 2007 08:10PM

Njoy!

hxxp://www.google.com/search?q=inurl:"aspx?cust=

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2007 08:11PM by Ronald.

Posted by: w0ts0n
Date: October 18, 2007 05:11AM

Thanks Ronald, I'm quite new to all this stuff so I appreciate your blatantness.

Date: October 19, 2007 02:13AM

So there are LOTS of people who really don't care about their customers' personal information...

At least in England that's very illegal... time to get a list together for the ICO and get them to bust some heads :)

Date: October 20, 2007 05:36PM

They do care since it means bad image and possibly profit losses. It just comes down to the people who make these sites don't know web app sec enough or don't care as long as they get payed. Also the companies don't want to spend too much on security since they think someone hacking them is unlikely or not worth the effort protecting against. Like TJX =oP

Posted by: tribalmp
Date: September 30, 2008 03:02PM

Ho, Found one for the crapy www.simplylinking.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.