Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
How do we crash systems, browsers, or otherwise bring things to a halt, and how do we protect those things? 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Why Crash a Browser?
Posted by: marko
Date: February 21, 2007 01:29AM

I was reading the thread on crashing browsers through looping or recursive javascript. What interest would there be to crashing someone's browser? Or would the goal be to make a DoS by having the javascript inject through the site people were trying to visit? (you inject the javascript through xss, if im getting my terms right? bear with a newbie).
Also, would this be of any use in terms of seo cloaking? For instance, if you crashed google's robots. Would that even be possible? I'm thinking a bot doesn't need a browser to surf?

Marko
[angel-investors.info] Coming soon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why Crash a Browser?
Date: February 21, 2007 10:18AM

I view crashing someone's browser as an easy way to get a short-lived laugh similarly to how most people felt back in the golden age of "progz" on AOL with all their little "punt" strings. It's best used to troll around when you're bored, and have nothing better to do, but become an annoyance by kicking others offline.

Awesome AnDrEw - That's The Sound Of Your Brain Crackin'
http://www.awesomeandrew.net/

Posted by: rsnake
Date: February 22, 2007 11:13PM

DoS is pretty much only useful when you want to stop someone from doing something. For instance if you steal someone's credentials you may want to stop them from doing anything for a few minutes until you perform your actions. That's just one example but you get the idea.

- RSnake
Gotta love it. http://ha.ckers.org

Posted by: jungsonn
Date: February 24, 2007 08:00AM

Yeah that's exactly right RSnake, you can use it in a myriad of ways. The last Dos I found for FF really crashed FF and my O.S. at the same time, It leaked so much memory I could not do anything other then to hitting my power button for 5 seconds. very annoying.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.