Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
If you have some interesting news or want to throw up a link to discuss it, here's the place. Anything is okay, even shameless vendor launches (since that is often applicable to what we work on). 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Experts: Hackers to step up 'cyberwar' in 2007
Posted by: jungsonn
Date: December 16, 2006 01:24AM

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/internet/12/12/cyber.crime.reut/index.html

...In 2007, hackers will be scouring social networking sites such as MySpace to gather information for more focused attacks on people's computers...

i don't want to boast sla.ckers 2 much here,
but did you guys here already a shown the proof?

What do you think about these 'forecasts' ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Experts: Hackers to step up 'cyberwar' in 2007
Posted by: kuza55
Date: December 16, 2006 03:33AM

Personally I think these type of forecasts (i.e. Where going to see these kinds of attacks) are completely meaningless, because as an attacker I'm not going to care what people said was what I was going to go after, and as a developer or sysadmin I have to make sure that every hole is plugged, it doesn't matter if I'm far more likely to have an XSS hole in my apps if I have an SQL Injection hole I don't know about.

So yeah, it doesn't really mean much to me, why should it?

But as a side note I think they meant scouring the data availiable on networks such as MySpace to do more targeted phishing attacks and facilitate identity fraud, rather than finding exploits in the sites, but i could be mistaken...

Re: Experts: Hackers to step up 'cyberwar' in 2007
Posted by: rsnake
Date: December 17, 2006 11:03AM

I think that's pretty unlikely in the short term actually. The ROI just isn't there for an attacker. Phishers don't keep complex databases of their victims. They use what they can until it doesn't work anymore then move on. Sure, it's possible, but the benefits aren't there yet since it's still cheap enough to do it the old fashioned way. The reason attackers are going after MySpace has nothing to do with the data collected, it has everything to do with the sheer number of users on the platform and the openness of it.

- RSnake
Gotta love it. http://ha.ckers.org

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.