Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
If you have some interesting news or want to throw up a link to discuss it, here's the place. Anything is okay, even shameless vendor launches (since that is often applicable to what we work on). 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
A beautiful example of how stupid users are
Posted by: barbarianbob
Date: February 12, 2010 09:43PM

This blog talks about a change that allows AOL users to log in to Facebook from AOL. It reaches the top spot of google for the search "facebook login". Idiot users search google for "facebook login" so they can login to their facebook account. They are directed to the blog. The new look of "facebook" confuses them and they can't log in. They are very upset.

Check the comments for the hilarity. The author has even confirmed that these people are coming from google, so this isn't trolling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2010 09:45PM by barbarianbob.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A beautiful example of how stupid users are
Posted by: Spyware
Date: February 15, 2010 05:01PM

A little piece of me died tonight when reading those comments. A little piece of me, *poof*, gone. Dead.

Posted by: rvdh
Date: February 15, 2010 05:15PM

I do the same it's easier to hit the search then to type the uri *shrugs*

Posted by: rvdh
Date: February 15, 2010 05:17PM

But knowing this, it's easy to understand why so many victims fall for phishing. He could easily deface his own site with a facebook login form (even if it doesn't look like facebook, because google brought them there so it's trusted) and grab their credentials.

Posted by: nedsbeds
Date: February 17, 2010 03:57AM

On a similar note I think the current trend of TV adverts (in the UK anyway) not giving a uri but instead saying something like "search for 'army jobs' online" is open to abuse.
When someone isn't even told the domain they should "trust" what chance does a novice user have of assessing whether they are on a trustworthy site?

Posted by: SAS
Date: February 17, 2010 02:36PM

@nedsbeds

That's a good example indeed. It could open up a big can of black SEO.

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: June 14, 2010 04:31PM

I think I just lost faith in the human race.

I'm actually surprised no one entered their login credentials as a comment in their utter confusion. After making those comments each one of those people probably just froze and stared at their screens, cross-eyed and drooling, waiting for someone to "fix facebook".

Too bad nobody made the domain 'old.facebook.com' or something, they would have jumped on that crap like a pack of dogs on a three legged cat. lol

Posted by: clayfox
Date: June 15, 2010 11:36AM

We could create a reality show called Ignorant Belligerence. To get on the show, people would have to pass several challenges. What we see here is one of those challenges and it is passed by believing that Facebook has actually turned into a news blog, it won't let them log in, and they post quite belligerently about it.

Today on Ignorant Belligerence, our special individuals are blindfolded. Let's see just how long it takes them to figure out that they aren't blind.

I would watch that show.

-clayfox

Posted by: GerNBA
Date: July 24, 2010 05:45PM

Well, I hope they will learn from their failure.
But I guess they won't.

Sincerly

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2010 05:49PM by GerNBA.

Posted by: VMw4r3
Date: July 29, 2010 09:04AM

12eloaded Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think I just lost faith in the human race.
>
> I'm actually surprised no one entered their login
> credentials as a comment in their utter confusion.
> After making those comments each one of those
> people probably just froze and stared at their
> screens, cross-eyed and drooling, waiting for
> someone to "fix facebook".
>
> Too bad nobody made the domain 'old.facebook.com'
> or something, they would have jumped on that crap
> like a pack of dogs on a three legged cat. lol

Some did post their login details.

comment no# 958

Email:rod4l@gmail.com

Passward: rod4pass

Posted by: Rodrigus | February 12, 2010 10:50

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/facebook_wants_to_be_your_one_true_loginpage20.php#comments

-----------------------------------------

comment no# 973

i am no moron. I am an intellectual and have my masters Don't be stupid If you change he system please have the integrity to explain the "modus operandi" Don' treat us as stupid just because you can not explain the system. I need to log in to-night. Kindly sort this out and thank you in anticipation

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2010 09:12AM by VMw4r3.

Posted by: VMw4r3
Date: July 30, 2010 09:34PM

comment no# 457

I found a way how to login on Facebook. I'll tell everyone for $7.99 (each).

Please send me a check by putting it in the CD ROM. Be careful not to press the BURN CD button as it will burn the check.

You can also pay me by credit card by placing it into your Floppy Disk Drive.

If you are using a Mac and don't have a floppy, please call Steve Jobs at 707-415-7320 and he will come and install you one free of charge. He delivers floppies 9 am to 6 pm, Mon-Sat. He requires that you provide your own chisel, though.

Posted by: Cestmoi | February 14, 2010 10:44

Posted by: HotspotTicket
Date: July 31, 2010 03:05AM

The one aspect is the limited understanding of Internet by most (or at least many) normal users but it also shows the power of such a simple thing as a search engine. Even M$ understood that by now, Jobs knows other methods...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.