Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
Whether this is about ha.ckers.org, sla.ckers.org or some other project you are interested in or want to talk about, throw it in here to get feedback. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Need to use a dedicated server as root
Posted by: writhbr
Date: December 20, 2006 01:26PM

I have been looking on google and i have found nothing.I have a dedicated server running a Windows Server 2003 and i want to connect to it from putty and execute commands in there.Is there any way to do that?I also need to have root acces and do anything i want ...

and another thing ... if anyone knows any scanner to scan ip ranges (121.1-121.2 or hole range 121) for a specific running operation sistem.I want a tool or a scanner to find all the servers that are running Red Hat Linux... Any help is apreciated.Thank a lot

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need to use a dedicated server as root
Posted by: id
Date: December 20, 2006 02:22PM

I seriously doubt anyone is going to give you root on a box, it's really not that hard to install *bsd or linux, or just use a liveCD. Or if your box has a decent amount of ram I would just install vmware and run both at the same time.

As for scanning two class Bs or a class A, that's going to take a long long time to do OS fingerprinting on. Keep in mind a class B is 65534 hosts, and if you tried to do the whole 121/8 it would be 16777214...so lets say you could scan 10 a minute...it would only take um...1165 days, have fun.

-id

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2006 02:23PM by id.

Posted by: jungsonn
Date: December 20, 2006 02:31PM

only 1165? that's doable id ;)

Posted by: maluc
Date: December 20, 2006 02:51PM

thats assuming all 16,777,214 IPs have a live host attached to it..

and he's right.. most ded. hosting providers aren't going to give you root.. and obtaining it is likely against their ToS _-_

-maluc

Date: December 20, 2006 02:59PM

Ofcorse you don't ask for it maluc, you just take what you can't get. *_~

Posted by: maluc
Date: December 20, 2006 03:11PM

well if you're paying 100+ a month for the hosting .. it's probably not financially wise to hack your host.

-maluc

Date: December 20, 2006 03:24PM

Nope, I woudn't do it also. just playing with ya. :)

But why does he need r00t?
I did have a box once where i did get r00t by default, costed me more then 200+ a month but, it was fully dedicated and had to install everything myself, without support. that sucked big time, especially configuring DNS settings, i literally pulled my hairs out over that.

"...I want a tool or a scanner to find all the servers that are running Red Hat Linux"

many Linux servers run RH or Fedora these days, a wild guess i say about 80% ?

Date: December 20, 2006 03:43PM

I don't know what the host density is in that range, so it was was just a random guess that 1 in 10 boxes were up. I figure that it would take about 1 min to scan then them with a full OS fingerprint scan...of course, that's from the US to PH, he may be closer and I am too lazy to look at his source IP.

-id

Date: December 20, 2006 03:46PM

Need root for several IP options using nmap and other scanning tools, though it could be something else. I'm sure you can get dedicated hosting with root, or a virtual server with root at quite a few ISPs, but scanning is probably against their TOS.

-id

Date: December 20, 2006 03:51PM

Yeah they said to me it was a "dedicated" but I guess it was some "virtual root".

id: do you know where you can get a free shell access that allows you to do these things? I remember there we're a few owners which let you use it freely (limited though) mostly unix commands.

Date: December 20, 2006 04:07PM

I don't, I've always hosted my own servers since dialup days. Maybe once I get a better solution for my servers I can give some of the regulars here access to a jail, but I wouldn't count on it soon...too much shit going on.

-id

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.