Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
Whether this is about ha.ckers.org, sla.ckers.org or some other project you are interested in or want to talk about, throw it in here to get feedback. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Freedom respecting community project allowing users to store info
Posted by: username
Date: June 18, 2009 06:58AM

Hi I'm new here but it feels like I've known you guys for ages.

I'll be posting an introduction a little later.

Right now I need to get this idea kicked around a little.

First its best if I explain my motivations, as they are more important than the solution I am proposing - you may well have a better suggestion.

Basically I work on computers at home and at work hardcodre and have recently got into the habit of using gmail to send my self postit notes. Like "pay gas bill", "meet stacy" whatever.

The point is I also post code and other ideas about some other project I'm working on and really don't feel comfortable exposing all of this information to a company that has little idea of 'privacy' or freedom.

So.. I want (to start with) make an online system where I can send my self text to look at online safely. It would make sense that I make the same system publicaly availble so any of you guys here or otehrwise could also benefit from its features and ultimatly could develop it as a community project.

Any suggestions, ideas , input etc welcomed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2009 07:00AM by username.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Freedom respecting community project allowing users to store info
Posted by: thrill
Date: June 18, 2009 09:43AM

@username

There are hundreds of open source 'task lists'/'calendars' you could use. The tricky part is securing them. In a case like yours however, the easiest way to secure it would be via .htaccess with an .htpasswd in the back end.. given that it would just be for your benefit and you wouldn't have to create a ton of passwords for other users.

I think posting a picture of "Stacy" might also improve your chances of others replying.. ;)

--thrill

---

It is not the degrees you hold, but the mind you possess. - thrill

Posted by: Gareth Heyes
Date: June 18, 2009 10:22AM

@thrill

LOL

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.";
labs : [www.businessinfo.co.uk]
blog : [www.thespanner.co.uk]
Hackvertor : [hackvertor.co.uk]

Date: June 19, 2009 06:49AM

That's very interesting.

Also is this strictly apache / php based. Coz my stuff wud likely be iis.

I will now go look around for a decent task link.

My key concern is privacy, as most tasks have nothing to do with stacy and more to do with a personal project i'm working on.

I don't really trust leaving the ideas in these unsecure places. Ideally i'd want my "tasks" encrypted online and sent https.

As i said i'll start looking now in case there are some out there. Suggestions welcome.

Ps stacy's a dog - its Stephanie you'd want to see ;)

hehehe

Date: June 19, 2009 06:57AM

Ok. Pics for info, I can dig.

Pic offered:

Info requested:

After googling

"encrypted OR secure OR private OR freedom OR "freedom respecting" online task list"

I don't find anything properly meeting my requirements.

Do you think there is a case for making my own.

P.s. it *would* need to support multiple users and its key selling point is that even we couldn't read your info if you stored it with us. I.e. loose password loose info.

I know there are algorithms that do that. Do you guys know much about them, their security- their name etc?

- Also if encryption was done client side and sent to server, would that illiminate need for https?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2009 07:04AM by username.

Date: June 19, 2009 09:46AM

What is this IIS thing you speak of? Does it do pots & pans? We heard it does windows kinda crappy.. heh

And yes, I was thinking Apache/php.. but you could still run IIS/php, there's even a java based one, look at this list.. hope that helps! :)

--thrill

---

Posted by: backbone
Date: June 24, 2009 10:32AM

I was thinking about GnuPG but then you mentioned IIS... does PHP work under it?

---
blog [-] microblog

Date: June 24, 2009 12:48PM

Yes, it does. :)

--thrill

---

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.