Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
Whether this is about ha.ckers.org, sla.ckers.org or some other project you are interested in or want to talk about, throw it in here to get feedback. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
User Space TCP/IP implementation for Windows
Posted by: abhishake
Date: November 13, 2006 09:10AM

hi .. im thinking of implementing the TCP/IP protocol stack in user space on Windows. The approach im currently contemplating is to use WinPCap to open up a raw socket and implement my version of the TCP/IP stack over it. Also im considering porting the LINUX TCP/IP stack.. (would like to know if that is possible).
I would like to know about your views on this and any roadblocks you might feel that I should stay clear of.

Thanks.

PS.: Excuse me if ive posted this in the wrong place xD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: User Space TCP/IP implementation for Windows
Posted by: WhiteAcid
Date: November 13, 2006 09:30AM

Are you doing this as an academic exercise? What is the reason?

Don't forget our IRC: irc://irc.irchighway.net/#slackers
-WhiteAcid - your friendly, very lazy, web developer

Date: November 13, 2006 09:57AM

Academic exercise ..yes. But its not just that .. forever i have had the need for true 'open network access'. By that i mean i feel that network access to programs should not be limited to the application layer. I feel that programs should be able to access the network at any layer and build up on that.
One more reason is that this would open up interesting avenues for me on my box.. like having multiple IP addresses and multiple MAC addresses through a single Network Interface.

Ive heard of a similar thing being developed on LINUX .. but i have not seen it nor do i know of its name. On Windows I have not come across such a thing being done.

Posted by: maluc
Date: November 13, 2006 12:17PM

well i wish you luck.. and if you get a beta version up and functional, post it here. It's been a wish of mine for quite a while to be able to run multiple internet connections from one box seemlessly, and get a combined bandwidth. But it seems like a huge amount of work and a verrry deep understanding of TCP/IP stack and protocol, so good luck.

-maluc

Posted by: id
Date: November 13, 2006 01:03PM

You can currently alias an interface in Windows, and I can't see any value in having an additional mac address unless you are doing local test of...? Really if you need multiple MAC addresses on a network NICs are about $10, or just pull one out of an old computer...

see netsh on windows btw.

-id

Date: November 13, 2006 11:29PM

Thank you for you responses guys

maluc .. i started off on this whole thing when i tried to do something like what you mentioned. ie combined bandwidth. But its a long way ahead. My immediate goal is to create a set of libraries that any application can choose to use. So applications that use winsock wont be able to use these services.. at least at the moment. I do have plans to get them working after and if I finish writing the libraries. I know its a lot of work hence I wanted to port the LINUX stack.

id .. its not just adding additional MAC addresses... Think creation of your own transport , network or even data link layer protocol. Think sending of malformed packets for testing. Think creation of entire virtual networks from a single machine. Sure there might already be ways to do all that. All im trying to do is to provide an alternative perhaps better way.
Thanks for the tip on netsh .. ill check it out.

Posted by: rsnake
Date: November 16, 2006 11:21AM

I just talked with Vacuum. He wrote something that does this a few years back but he doesn't want to make it public. Here's his suggestions, use winpcap/libdnet for win32, use a GTK interface. If you want to make it cross platform for UNIX use libpcap. I hope that helps!

- RSnake
Gotta love it. http://ha.ckers.org

Date: November 16, 2006 11:25AM

Vacuum still isn't willing to release it but here are a few example screenshots of the program he wrote:

The next image shows him requesting a webpage from a system that doesn't exist. This would be super dangerous as a worm could then do attacks from IPs on a local subnet that are not in use:

- RSnake

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2006 11:27AM by rsnake.

Date: November 17, 2006 05:11PM

Thanks a billion rsnake... gr8 help.
Could u ask vacuum for me if hes heard of Windows XP blocking out traffic (pretty sure not firewall issues) from a non existent system to any other system... and also did he implement the protocols himself or was it a port from the kernel (or u could just tell me how to get in touch with vacuum).

Thanks again mate.

Date: November 18, 2006 11:14PM

I'll ask him. Let me get back to you.

- RSnake

Date: November 19, 2006 12:18AM

Vacuum said libnet and winpcap has the basis for everything you need. He said he hadn't encountered your problem though. His program was written on XP. Hope that helps.

- RSnake

Date: November 19, 2006 12:53AM

sure did ... thank u

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.