Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
For any nonsense or banter that doesn't fit anywhere else. LoL! omg! ROFL! 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
What OS are you guys running?
Posted by: trix
Date: August 21, 2006 04:07PM

Just curious guys what kind of OS's are you all running, just to settle curiousity. One of the main reasons why I still have a windows partition is so I could test out some XSS features which are particular to IE.

trix

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What OS are you guys running?
Posted by: WhiteAcid
Date: August 21, 2006 04:31PM

I'm running Windows XP, I have no immediate reason to change. I also have VMs of several different OSes but they are all short term things as I soon need the hdd space for other things.

Don't forget our IRC: irc://irc.irchighway.net/#slackers
-WhiteAcid - your friendly, very lazy, web developer

Posted by: id
Date: August 21, 2006 05:56PM

I run XP on one laptop and FreeBSD 6.1 on another for general usage, the only thing keeping me on windows at all is Visio, damn customers demanding their network diagrams in Visio...bah.

XP on a game machine

FreeBSD 6.1 on a development box

ha/sla.ckers.org is running FreeBSD 6.1
3:48PM up 91 days, 5:18, 2 users, load averages: 0.06, 0.09, 0.08

The firewall protecting it is running OpenBSD 3.7
3:48PM up 370 days, 20:02, 2 users, load averages: 0.14, 0.20, 0.17

OpenBSD 3.9 on my project firewall

-id

Posted by: WhiteAcid
Date: August 21, 2006 06:19PM

If only I could afford multiple boxes. As soon as I get another PC some family member comes along needing one and I end up giving it to them. The next bugger is mine .

Don't forget our IRC: irc://irc.irchighway.net/#slackers
-WhiteAcid - your friendly, very lazy, web developer

Date: August 21, 2006 06:56PM

Keep in mind some of those boxes were basically other people's junk.

The firewall is a 233mhz box with 64mb of ram, I've had for 9 years now, and besides moves it has been turned on the whole time. One dead disk, and one dead power supply so far /knocks on wood.

The Fbsd laptop is a 450mhz thinkpad I kept after a company I worked for went out of business and still owed me 11k...fukers

One of the other fbsd boxes is a Cisco IDS converted to server, bought it off of ebay for $200 a few years ago, dual 400mhz, 332mb ram.

The project firewall is cost me about $160 in parts and I put it together myself, it's 266mhz w/128mb ram.

http://ha.ckers.org/images/id/fw.jpg

You can do a lot with very little money and some effort. However my real development box and work machines are 2ghz+ because at the end of the day time = money ;)

Posted by: rsnake
Date: August 21, 2006 06:59PM

- I'm running XP Pro at work.
- I'm running XP Pro on my "workhorse" machine at home - the workhorse that keeps dying on me.
- I'm running XP Home on my girlfriend's laptop (it's a PoS).
- I'm running FreeBSD on my "production" 4 U rackmount server at home.
- I'm running FreeBSD on my "test" 4 U rackmount server at home.
- I'm running a not completely working version of Vista on my laptop at home. I need to re-install some other OS on there - probably XP Pro as a replacement for my gfnd's old crappy laptop that has major hardware problems and needs to be round-filed.
- I also have an old Windows 98 Laptop with a crap power supply, that I keep threatening to turn into a server of some kind. Fat chance.

And multiple accounts on various versions of Linux and BSD for testing. And I'm not posting my uptime. I just moved, it doesn't count. :P

- RSnake
Gotta love it. http://ha.ckers.org

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2006 07:01PM by rsnake.

Date: August 21, 2006 07:02PM

I've got a decent UPS on the firewall now, and my truck has AC...I can go until HW failure!

-id

Posted by: inrouted
Date: August 21, 2006 07:29PM

Running Mac Tiger as laptop 1
Running Windows XP as work laptop 1
Running Fedora Core 5 Desktop 1(dont i wish this were an optional one..so that i could delete it)
Running XP Pro on Desktop 2, with 3 virtual machines
Firewall/router is a juniper.

Posted by: trix
Date: August 21, 2006 08:51PM

at home:
Running XP
Debian Woody
freebsd (would use it more if project evil worked better for my wireless card-- no wardriving ;l)

at work:
solaris 5.8 gotta love those sun boxes

trix

Posted by: Legionnaire
Date: August 22, 2006 03:05AM

I'm running Windows XP on my Laptop and Slackware 10.2 on my PC at work.
I haven't yet attempted to install Linux on the laptop since as far as I know things like power management, stand by, etc. don't work that well.

Anyway, as I can see most people here are using some Linux distro but at the same time cannot get rid of Windows because people expect you to work in Word, Excel or Visio and use Windows File and Printer Sharing. That's too bad I guess.

Date: August 22, 2006 08:34AM

Power management has worked fine for at least 5 years, including everything windows does.

As for Word/Excel, use openoffice, works just as good, and is compatible. The only problem I have is Visio, nothing else I can think of.

Samba has provided file and print sharing for years, I was using it 8 years ago at Hewlett Packard...

(this goes for linux and *bsd)

-id

Posted by: Lockdown
Date: August 22, 2006 11:13PM

Slackware. Because it kicks ass.

Date: August 26, 2006 01:03PM

I finally got some photos up for you all:

My projector based kvm. It was easier than buying lots of crappy little monitors:

This picture is of my lab. It's missing all of my laptops, but you get the jist:

Some of my books:

Posted by: Girzi
Date: August 26, 2006 01:28PM

Wooooowwww =) I want the same in my house :P
Okey tomorrow I'll try to male some pictures of my little computer and my little connection of french books :( : /

Date: August 26, 2006 10:32PM

rsnake is a nerd.

-id

Date: August 27, 2006 12:25PM

I should note that two out of three of the servers in my rack were built by id. *cough*whos-the-nerd*cough*

- RSnake

Posted by: inrouted
Date: August 28, 2006 01:08PM

Building them is one thing. Racking them in a *real* rack, and calling it the *lab* makes you into something totally different :) Especially if you mounted the projector for multiOS testing use.

Date: August 28, 2006 02:24PM

I was drunk, don't remeber building them, so they don't count.

-id

Date: August 28, 2006 03:28PM

inrouted - the lab was set up as a production and testing environment, now it's graduated to just testing. Whatever it makes me, I'm pretty happy with my setup, although my laptop situation is just completely not okay. I need to do some major upgrades there when I get some spare time. And admit it, it's cool as hell to have a projector as the V in KVM.

id - you're always drunk. It counts.

- RSnake

Posted by: xandi
Date: August 29, 2006 03:23PM

Well this is where I do my stuff: http://geekflat.blogspot.com ( as seen on http://digg.com/design/Geek_Flat ;) )

Even though knowing to face ostracism, I have to admit that I'm running Debian on all my servers.
OS X on my Powerbook, and for testing my code I have a shitty Windows machine too.

x

Date: August 29, 2006 03:36PM

Very Cool xandi, my next house will have its own server room and the only part of a computer I want to see is the monitor and keyboard/mouse... I hate fan noise, hate.

-id

Date: August 29, 2006 04:56PM

Xandi, that's pretty impressive! You can come decorate my place!

No, but seriously, that was a pretty nice place to throw the server, does it get too hot in there or does your bathroom stay cool enough?

id, what ever happened to those low wattage/cost machines you were working on? I need like 5 of them.

- RSnake

Date: August 29, 2006 06:19PM

I broke my original one, I'll let you know when I buy some new hardware for it...

-id

Date: August 30, 2006 06:11AM

heh, thanks RSnake & id!
The servers stay cool, due to the nature of this ventilation shaft which sucks hot air up immediately.
My only worry is a bursting pipe from above...

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2006 06:11AM by xandi.

Date: August 30, 2006 11:09AM

haha, yah, that would do it. Did you do all the construction yourself or hire contractors? I'm pretty impressed. I'm no where near that handy. How long did all of that take you?

- RSnake

Date: August 31, 2006 02:09AM

I did most of the heavy work together with my father, like mounting the boards etc., friends helped with painting and other boring tasks you'd hate doing alone. Apart from that, I did most of it myself. I was far to stingy to hire anyone at that time,

It took me more than a month to finish the cabling, this was by most the hardest part, using hammer and chisel to prepare the conduits.. these are the moments you realize how shitty it would be doing physical work for a living. If I would construct a flat like this again, this is the part I would hire someone for.

The restroom took two days (without tiling), desk a bit less than two days (without painting it), shelves also 2 days (again without painting),

It's just a bummer that 50% of the power outlets and 100% of the network outlets are never used - what a waste of time!

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2006 02:19AM by xandi.

Date: October 19, 2006 05:17PM

What ever happened to this thread? I kinda wanted to see some other people's setups.

Posted by: Kyran
Date: October 19, 2006 05:42PM

My camphone takes horrible pics. But I have a 2.2ghz box with 512mb ddr ram and my 1.8ghz laptop with 512mb ddr ram. Both running winXP right now. 2.2 will be running a server as soon as I get around to burning freeBSD or Fedora Core 6 is fully released

- Kyran

Date: October 19, 2006 05:58PM

I'm down with horrible pics. It's more just to see the setup than to see the specs.

- RSnake

Date: October 20, 2006 04:21PM

Windows 98 SE for life, yo. 128 MB RAM allows me to do nothing I want other than stream music, watch most videos, render footage really slowly, and make random applications.

Awesome AnDrEw - That's The Sound Of Your Brain Crackin'
http://www.awesomeandrew.net/

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.