Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
For any nonsense or banter that doesn't fit anywhere else. LoL! omg! ROFL! 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Worst SEO candidate... ever.
Posted by: rsnake
Date: January 22, 2007 06:19PM

So I was interviewing some guy for an SEO position today. Dear holy mother of god did he suck. Let me count the ways:

1) He didn't read HTML with any level of proficiency
2) He uses DreamWeaver to code web-pages
3) His resume says he knows CGI scripts, PHP, ASP, SQL and Java, but when asked if he could help define technical issues he flatly said he couldn't program and couldn't read code.
4) He had to write down a list of SEO sites he read because he couldn't remember them.
5) He hadn't even heard of 3/4ths of the big SEO sites.
6) He had no idea what the noodp tag was or how it related to SEO.
7) He didn't get that the visual location of text on a page doesn't correlate to the placement of the HTML.
8) He didn't realize Google reads only a certain amount of text on a page (he thought it was a timeout issue)
9) He had no idea how to dump HTTP headers, but said, "Yah, I've done that once.)
10) He had to keep a printout of ultra basic SEO rules with him for reference.
11) His hyper SEO optimized website gets less than 1/10th the traffic of this site.

Ughhhh......

- RSnake
Gotta love it. http://ha.ckers.org

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Worst SEO candidate... ever.
Posted by: digi7al64
Date: January 22, 2007 07:37PM

lol - my favorite is to ask applicants what is the difference between the internet and the world wide web.

----------
'Just because you got the bacon, lettuce, and tomato don't mean I'm gonna give you my toast.'

Date: January 22, 2007 08:59PM

Wait, I know this... are they anything like the information super highway?

- RSnake

Posted by: Kyran
Date: January 22, 2007 10:02PM

World Wide Web...that's the WWW I put before the website name, right?

- Kyran

Posted by: WhiteAcid
Date: January 23, 2007 07:01AM

Can we have the url to his SEO optimised site?

He had no idea what the noodp tag was or how it related to SEO.
What is a noodp tag?

Don't forget our IRC: irc://irc.irchighway.net/#slackers
-WhiteAcid - your friendly, very lazy, web developer

Posted by: jungsonn
Date: January 23, 2007 10:48AM

Yeah what's that noodp tag? :)

Never heard of it, did dome SEO as SEM once for a year, but I only read university articles and secret stuff from google employees, pretty enlighting in contrast what I read over the place..

But I still have my set of rules based on that info:

1.If a site needs SEO like in (optimizing) the site was bad from the start, wasn't it? or do you wnat to cheat?
2.People have no patience anymore, give it time. and far beyond the 3 month sandbox in Google.
3.I never submitted my blog to SE's, still it's all over the place in SE's
4.I never use "SEO friendly urls" cause I found out it doesn't mean a thing, it only looks nice.
5. content is still king, despite tons SEO stuff.
6. You must have a theme, it's how google's stored vectors calculate your site; does your links fit in the theme you have?
7. Google thinks like a surfer: I need this info, and I want it now. I don't have time, so my searchquery needs to be correct.

Anyway that's how I look upon SEO stuff.

Date: January 23, 2007 04:44PM

http://www.ysearchblog.com/archives/000368.html noodp -> is where you tell the search engine not to use DMOZ for your search results description if you have a missing/unusable description. Sorry, it's an SEO thing.

His site is actually a music ticketing site. I'd rather not having everyone hAx0ring him, despite the fact he was an idiot and highly under-qualified for the job he was asking for. It's just not my style. I gave him a bad recommendation to the guy hiring him (who dotted line reports to me anyway). Hopefully he won't get hired. If he does, his site is free game. ;)

Your basics on SEO are mostly correct, but there are some nuances that can throw you on very large sites, like infinite depth issues, redirection, cross domain issues, acquiring sites and their page rank, header/footer navigation, 404 and other error codes, size and layout of very large pages that don't get completely indexed, protecting your content from malicious robots or unwanted search engines, allowing sites to spider but not index etc... lots of little issues to think about.

But like you, I've never once submitted sla.ckers.org to a search engine but you can definitely find it all over a number of search engines. I can't say that I've never submitted ha.ckers.org (I definitely have) but I stopped bothering about a year ago. At that point there were enough sites linking into the site that it wasn't worth it anymore. I still toy with the idea of creating a link list but I doubt that would help much at this point given that both ha.ckers.org and sla.ckers.org have a PR of 5 and 6 on the main page (meaning that Google indexes both sites very regularly looking for new content).

- RSnake

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2007 04:44PM by rsnake.

Posted by: jungsonn
Date: January 23, 2007 08:08PM

Cool tag RSnake! But is it strictly yahoo? or?

Posted by: Luny
Date: January 23, 2007 08:17PM

So, i guess I didnt get the job huh RSnake?

jk! lol!

---------------
Digital footprints suck. Learn to walk on your hands.
http://www.youfucktard.com

Date: January 23, 2007 09:45PM

@jungsonn - nope it's actually used by several search engines, including Google.

@luny - I'll hire you, just to make you get me some coffee. Then I'll let it sit on my desk and then tell you to get me a fresh cup. Hours of endless fun. Especially because I don't drink coffee. ;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.