Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
For any nonsense or banter that doesn't fit anywhere else. LoL! omg! ROFL! 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
IE7 gone mad on popup blocking.
Posted by: WhiteAcid
Date: September 16, 2006 04:23PM

A friend of mine is running Windows Vista RC1 which runs IE7 and came across an odd problem. Intentionally or not, it classes prompt dialogs as popups and therefore blocks them.
Screenshots:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/easterbunny01/Untitled-2.jpg

Oddly it allows alert and confirm without any hassle.

Don't forget our IRC: irc://irc.irchighway.net/#slackers
-WhiteAcid - your friendly, very lazy, web developer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: IE7 gone mad on popup blocking.
Date: September 16, 2006 10:03PM

I don't see how it's mad behavior, in fact, that's actually pretty cool.

Date: September 17, 2006 04:18AM

I think it's too much. IPB uses prompt windows to let people copy paste the url to the current post but IE7 blocks this. I find it odd that IE7 sets caution flags when the site is just asking for input.

Posted by: rsnake
Date: September 17, 2006 01:30PM

I think they're beginning to realize the potential for malicious users to use any form of popup to get the user to input data in odd ways. I mean think about it, the .htaccess popup window spawned by any included file from a remote host asks for username/password without much clue (other than the title) as to what context it's being shown to the user.

- RSnake
Gotta love it. http://ha.ckers.org

Date: September 17, 2006 07:51PM

Well... I suppose. I still will take some time getting used to that (well.. I would if I were to use IE7)

Posted by: rsnake
Date: September 18, 2006 10:19AM

Agreed... IE7.0 breaks a lot of stuff. I did some testing with it late last year and found tons of applications that weren't smart about how they did browser detection and said that the browser version I was using was not supported (simply because version != IE6.0). Just be prepared, tons of applications will need to be re-written so if you haven't started testing your apps with it, you might want to, just to see what it will break - this is another reason I'm reluctant to add IE7.0 to the cheat sheet at the moment. Since it's still beta there is still a chance it might be fixed to undo a lot of those "enhancements". I want to wait until it's released for a few months before I go through all the trouble to test every vector again (I've already done it once - late last year).

- RSnake
Gotta love it. http://ha.ckers.org

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.