Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
For any nonsense or banter that doesn't fit anywhere else. LoL! omg! ROFL! 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Dude, whats with the name?
Posted by: eyeced
Date: January 17, 2007 04:23PM

This thread is quite pointless really, i was just curious about some peoples names and would like to no why theyve chose it and what it means.

Ill start off, the reason im 'called' eyeced on here pronounced iced, is because when playing xbox live a while back i wanted the gamertag aced (im love playing cards) which was taken, so i tryed iced instead, and ended up settling with eyeced... and there you have it, its stuck ever since.

So go for it... whats with the name?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dude, whats with the name?
Posted by: id
Date: January 17, 2007 05:17PM

I was changing ISPs, and was going to host my brother in law's band on the webspace that came with the account, so I named the account after the initials of the band in order to make it look somewhat official. (was a long long time ago). so it was h**p://isp.com/~id/

They now have a severely out of date site since they use myspace for everything...
http://immortaldominion.com
http://myspace.com/immortaldominion

If you like very heavy metal give it a shot.

anyway, I liked the other uses, as in try and do a net search for id.

and the dictionary definition fits as well.

"The word "id" is taken from the nominative single neuter Latin personal pronoun (is, ea, id) meaning "it" or "that thing." "

-id

Posted by: Kyran
Date: January 17, 2007 06:37PM

Kyran, many sites define it as Iranian/Persian in Origin, It means Lord/Sir.
Tbh, I just thought it was cool, regardless of the meaning and whatnot. That was about, 4 years ago. I've been using it ever since. My real life friends and even some family call me Kyran now.

- Kyran

Posted by: rsnake
Date: January 17, 2007 10:20PM

Unfortunately my nick has quite a history since I've had it so long:

Snake: Once upon a time I was a huge dork and played role playing games. My nick name was "Snake". One day I was playing a RPG on a lawn at my school and one of the prettiest girls came by and saw a piece of paper on my lap that said "The Snake" on it and she said, "Snake, huh?" My friends laughed and it stuck.

rsnake: When I went to college I wanted to have my handle "snake" as a name for my first Unix account at school. I went to this meeting with the faculty for my department and they warned us to pick nick-names with our names in them so that the faculty could tell who is who. I was pretty bummed as I sat down to find some really horrible possibilities for my handle based on my real name. But then I realized next to no one from my department showed and no one knew who I was (no one asked). So I picked "rsnake" since "r" was my first initial. I figured no one knew my middle name anyway.

RSnake: I had the 134th hacking website ever (part of the original fringe of the web web-ring). If you weren't around back then this should give you an idea about how early this was - the FOTW webring was the second webring, being used as an experiment for webring.com as part of some guy's class project. There were only a few hackers back then. That was back when there were only a few of us (for those of you who remember your hacker history) Silicon Toad, Bronc Buster, Modify, Jericho, etc.... This was back in 1995-6. I wanted a custom graphic for my website. Here's the image my friend made for me (the original "RSnake" image with uppercase "RS" http://ha.ckers.org/images/RSnake1.gif I liked the capital RS that he came up with so I used it going forward.

arsenic: For some reason people can't understand how to type "RSnake" when you tell them verbally. So when I was first getting into the scene I also had some user accounts on certain systems with the nick "arsenic" since people often thought that's what I was telling them. At least that way I'd get the mail they were trying to send me.

RSenic: From 1999-2000 I dropped out of the scene for various personal reasons after dropping out of EHAP (offline now) and giving WebFringe.com to White Vampire (also offline now). I came back around in 2001. When I dropped by a chat room I found out that there was someone using my handle "RSnake" from GForce pakistan. They had hacked a bunch of sites and had gotten themselves quite a name. So Vacuum suggested that I use "RSenic" to avoid confusion since he hung out in the same chat rooms that I did. It stuck for a while.

RSnake: September 11, 2001 the RSnake from Gforce pakistan stopped coming online (coincidence?). So I took my nick back and have been RSnake ever since.

So that's the story.

- RSnake
Gotta love it. http://ha.ckers.org

Posted by: jungsonn
Date: January 18, 2007 01:50AM

I had mine before I ever saw a 24k modem. My name means absolutely nothing, in contrary what many people think. I saw the word: 'jung' on a box with bulbs it was a vendor of lightbulbs and switches, so that sounded cool, but I had to make up something after that, and I came up with 'sonn' It is also written with 2 NN's and that is not correct, but that comes because the name is 8 chars and that is more esthetic than 7 chars, so I though well 2 N's are pretty c00l also why not, while i'm at it. ^^ making it more unique.

Posted by: WhiteAcid
Date: January 18, 2007 03:25AM

Mine doesn't really have an interesting story but here goes. When I was younger (11 or so) I picked Acid partly cos it sounded cool and partly cos it sounds like my real name. When I was a bit older and started joining forums/IRC I found that the nick was usually taken hence I changed to WhiteAcid (the colour being a random choice). Just after I joined this place I've actually started using Sid which is my first name (on the IRC that's me) but since I can't change my display name on this forum I'm still WhiteAcid here.

Don't forget our IRC: irc://irc.irchighway.net/#slackers
-WhiteAcid - your friendly, very lazy, web developer

Posted by: Luny
Date: January 18, 2007 03:54AM

A few of my nicks

Luny: short for lunatic. Use to go by Imalunatic because sometimes I just feel insane. I've been committed about 4 times to the local mental hospital.

Bones: called because of my small size irl.

Roboman: made up by a friend when I got drunk one night and started walking. He said I looked like a robot. Ending up puking in..(well halfway in, mostly out) his garbage can.

---------------
Digital footprints suck. Learn to walk on your hands.
http://www.youfucktard.com

Posted by: kozanaybar
Date: January 20, 2007 10:34AM

kozanaybar = k**** ozan aybar, my real name =)

Posted by: Mephisto
Date: January 26, 2007 08:03PM

Mephisto, short for Mephistopheles one of the chief demons of christian mythology and also the demon entity that tempted Faust.

I've gone through various nicknames, but all have the same link back to demons or devils.

Nothing occult or satanic, it just appeals to the darker, more destructive side of my personality.

I don't like keeping a nickname for very long because it tends to become easier to track your activity, especially in situations where you are making posts on message boards...

Posted by: jungsonn
Date: January 26, 2007 09:40PM

Cool nick dude...

yeah I have many nicks, and i'm not going to disclose them for personal reasons. my nick is almost equal to my full name, so yeah I must use others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2007 09:41PM by jungsonn.

Posted by: christ1an
Date: January 27, 2007 08:36AM

In my case it should be clear. I just replaced the second "i" in my first name with a "1", which could mean #1 or whatever. Pretty arrogant but that was not my intention. For me it has just an optical reason. "Christian" would be too boring.

Posted by: bubbles
Date: January 27, 2007 06:28PM

Back when I was like 10 or 11 I went to play laser tag with some some friends. Laser Tag, for those of you who dont know is the equivalent of paintball, without the paint.

You had to pick a nickname, and I couldnt think of one. So I looked on the list of nicknames and "bubbles" was 3rd on the list, below "buttercup", and "blossom", so I was like "wtf, sign me in as bubbles".

I then went on to get 1st place out of 120+ people, two games in a row. Then for the third and final game, all my friends duct taped me to a pole and shot my pack the entire game.

Somehow, I didnt get last, I got second to last, behind some girl.

Anyway, after that, everyone called me bubbles, even to this day, my real life friends call me bubbles.

-bubbles
http://webmastertutorials.net

Posted by: id
Date: January 27, 2007 08:41PM

Damn, and I thought we had a stripper/hax0r on the board.

-id

Posted by: ntp
Date: January 27, 2007 10:40PM

network time protocol... obviously enough

i think i got it from reading too much Michal Zalewski or Arhont book titles

Posted by: blad3
Date: January 28, 2007 03:59AM

RSnake: I had the 134th hacking website ever (part of the original fringe of the web web-ring).

Damn rsnake, those were 'good old days' :)
Almost any computer you scanned had all their ports open, it was normal to find writable C:\ shares. Good times :P
It seems so long ago like it was in a previous life or something.

I remember WebFringe, also Vacuum (winfingerprint).
RFP(rain forest puppy) was my hero at the time :P http://www.wiretrip.net/rfp/
I don't know how many of you know this, but he was the first one to report SQL injection vulnerabilities (in 2001 in a paper "How I hacked PacketStorm"). http://www.wiretrip.net/rfp/txt/rfp2k01.txt
p.s. It seems the first details about SQL injection were published even sooner.
In 1998, in Phrack 54. http://www.phrack.org/archives/54/P54-08

I remember ADM, Teso, w00w00, mixter, gobbles (OMG, gobbles rocked! http://examples.oreilly.com/networksa/tools/apache-nosejob.c)
The scene was totally different back then.
I think somebody should write a book about the past times. It would be a very interesting read for a lot of people.

At that point in time, I was more of a script kiddie and had the nickname soul4blade.
I was playing a lot the game Soul Blade for PlayStation http://www.gamespot.com/ps/action/soulblade/index.html and because soulblade was not available as an email @yahoo, I came up with soul4blade (which btw is cooler :P)
As we get older, we tend to simplify things and soul4blade become blad3.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2007 05:20AM by blad3.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.