Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
For any nonsense or banter that doesn't fit anywhere else. LoL! omg! ROFL! 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Brandimensions
Posted by: id
Date: January 14, 2007 01:15PM

Curious if anyone has any info on this company, they are by far our biggest bandwidth user (by at least 2x the second largest user). From their website it looks like they do copyright/trademark protection, and some anti-phishing.

It seems to me that if there were enough companies like this it could have serious costs for website owners in used bandwidth. They are actually worse bandwidth abusers than the thousands of bots that hit the site daily.

Odd business model that tries to make businesses that don't want their services pay in wasted bandwidth and cpu cycles. Anyway, fuck em, their blocked ;0

-id

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brandimensions
Posted by: jungsonn
Date: January 14, 2007 02:22PM

IP address: 216.183.91.18
Reverse DNS: 18-91-183-216.etnet.ca.
Reverse DNS authenticity: [Could be forged: hostname 18-91-183-216.etnet.ca. does not exist]

?

Date: January 14, 2007 02:46PM

Brandimensions Inc. ENS-216-183-91-16 (NET-216-183-91-16-1)
216.183.91.16 - 216.183.91.31

whois is your friend. ;)

-id

Date: January 14, 2007 04:17PM

Yeah but: [Could be forged: hostname 18-91-183-216.etnet.ca. does not exist]

Isn't that a proof that it's using a proxy then?

Date: January 14, 2007 08:20PM

No, they just didn't put a forward entry in DNS for the reverse resolve name, note, same with ha.ckers & sla.ckers, etc. When you do a lookup on an IP address it's called a reverse DNS lookup. It doesn't tell you anything about the host besides a name if they put one in, or bind can also do a automatically generated reverse lookup if you configure it to do so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_DNS_lookup

-id

Date: January 15, 2007 05:05AM

Thanks for explaining, I wonder though with detection of proxies; -please say so if i'm wrong- but I found out when I convert an IP on my site to resolve the hostadres (php function) it looks up the host, Ok fine, but I saw that spammers who go through a proxy don't have a hostadres, it gives me an IP adres and not a hostname. Whilst normal surfers do resolve into a hostname. So, isn't this an easy way to tell the difference between proxy surfers and non-proxy surfers?

Date: January 15, 2007 05:50PM

Totally depends on the ISP that controls the IP space. For instance, ha.ckers.org forward resolves to 69.12.144.65 while if you do a reverse lookup on that IP it comes up as 69-12-144-65.dsl.static.sonic.net (probably auto-generated by BIND). However if the ISP didn't care to set up BIND that way, or simply didn't want to do reverse lookups at all, it wouldn't find a host there at all, which is the case with most IP space on the net I would guess.

Keep in mind that we can have as many as we want addresses forward resolve to 69.12.144.65, but there can only be a single reverse resolve to that (though there can be many CNAMEs)

-id

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.