Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
For any nonsense or banter that doesn't fit anywhere else. LoL! omg! ROFL! 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Predicting a result value from an input integer
Posted by: madhu
Date: October 25, 2011 06:39PM

An interesting prediction question.

I have a few integer numbers and applying some "unknown" logic to it results in
corresponding alphanumeric value. The following are a few sample input integer
values & the resulting alphanumeric value. Can you predict the possible "unknown"
logic ?

189558 -> 34DH7QMF
192360 -> 34LI6WAH
192382 -> 34DNN85C
192441 -> 3467PH7X
192478 -> 34JM0DTS
192699 -> 34KP3BCR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Predicting a result value from an input integer
Posted by: infinity
Date: December 14, 2011 02:38PM

Hi madhu,

I fail to discover a pattern, I think that this is just too little information. Maybe it would be helpful to know something about the context where the numbers on the left are transformed into alphanumeric sequences of characters.

So far we know next to nothing. It could be a mapping, but we don't know anything about its properties, for example if the assignment of numbers on the left to alphanumeric strings on the right is a bijection (one to one) and each alphanumeric string on the right is uniquely determined by a number on the left.

And we don't know which characters can appear in the alphanumeric strings on the right. It looks like A-Z and 0-9 are allowed, but it could also be very different. If the characters from the A-Z range behave like numbers their order can be very different from the usual lexicographic order.

With that little information given I think it is impossible to find the unknown logic behind this. It could be anything.

Can you give us a sequence of integers directly following each other and their corresponding alphanumeric values? Like beginning from 0, 1, 2, 3, ... ascending?

And if you know the solution, it would be nice to give us some further hints :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2011 05:09AM by infinity.

Posted by: Skyphire
Date: December 15, 2011 02:28AM

I agree with infinity. It could simply be an expressive function or polyalphabetic substitution for all I know.

If I may take a guess:

It has some similarities with a Vigenère/Ceasar cipher on how the first decimals don't change, indicating a lookup table. So at least it is not a hash function and also not a stream cipher, thus leaving a polyalphabetic substitution a real candidate.

Do you know the answer? or are you guessing yourself.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2011 02:43AM by Skyphire.

Posted by: Gareth Heyes
Date: December 15, 2011 05:54AM

Since there are a lot of repeated 2's yet they don't appear on the right after the 34 I would assume the first three characters generate the 34 on the right. Maybe something like 192/5.5 or something. Then I thought the remaining characters are either increased by some mathematical operation or a simple base conversion is done. I couldn't find a pattern in the remaining characters looking at them as a sub cipher but maybe as @Skyphire says the key changes depending on the position.

5  5  8
DH 7Q MF

3  6  0
LI 6W AH

3  8  2
DN N8 5C

4  4  1
67 PH 7X

4  7  8
JM 0D TS

6  9  9
KP 3B CR

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.";
labs : [www.businessinfo.co.uk]
blog : [www.thespanner.co.uk]
Hackvertor : [hackvertor.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2011 05:58AM by Gareth Heyes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.