Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
For any nonsense or banter that doesn't fit anywhere else. LoL! omg! ROFL! 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Build Low power requiremnts into your server
Posted by: trix
Date: August 30, 2006 01:43PM

Hey anyone have any idea on how to do this. I know the sun V440 run on something ridiculous like 200 Watts. What kind of hardware do you need exactly to build a server to minimize the amount of voltage you can use.

trix

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Build Low power requiremnts into your server
Posted by: id
Date: August 30, 2006 02:37PM

Depends what you want it to do...

A project I have been working on for a while now is to replace my firewall/bastion host/QoS/blah blah utility box with a low power replacement.

Currently it is a 233mhz box with 64mb of ram, it has a 200W power supply, but probably only draws 20ish watts on average.

The plan is to replace it with this:

At peak it draws 5W, and should average about 2-3W draw, it is 266mhz and has 128mb of ram. It will run OpenBSD, which my current firewall uses, but I am going to mount the filesystem in memory so I do fewer writes to the CF card.

It's also the reason I haven't written the pf guide yet, I am going to make some significant changes to my current setup... I'll of course post on it (and take more pictures) as I go. This weekend is a long one, I will try and work on it.

-id

Date: August 30, 2006 02:38PM

It's also important to note there is no fAN, cuz I fucking hate fan noise.

that is all.

-id

Re: Build Low power requirements into your server
Date: August 31, 2006 12:27AM

how much does it cost to build that server just curious :]. What happens if i miscalculate the power consumption o-0

trix

Date: August 31, 2006 11:18AM

With the CF card and power supply it was about $180 US a few months ago. You could probably get it for cheaper now.

http://www.wisp-router.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=WRAP%2E1E23%2F1&eq=&Tp=

-id

Date: September 09, 2006 09:21PM

what do you need to make a basic server?

trix

Date: September 10, 2006 10:31AM

For the one above you just need to buy the board (~$140), a case (~$15), power supply (~$20) and a CF card (~$20 for a 1gb).

Might do better than that if you shop around, I was lucky and had the card, so my $180 guess was probably a bit low. Also I found one fully ready at http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?products_id=209

If you just want it as a server though I don't think it is a good option, my goal was a quiet and very functional firewall, I wouldn't serve a website, mail or anything else that required lots of disk writes off of it since CF cards have limited writes before they die. (about 100k)

I could probably give you a better idea of what hardware to use if you tell me what kind of server you want.

-id

Date: September 11, 2006 01:27PM

yea im thinking of building a webserver that could probably serve a decent amount of people. I suppose if it is necessary, i would build the firewall on a different box

trix

Date: September 11, 2006 05:48PM

You should always use different boxes for security and serving, but on a budget you can mix.

If you really need low power you might consider one of the low power VIA boards and a laptop hard drive, but it isn't a very robust solution. For cheap upfront costs just buy any old 1ghz or slower box off ebay, you can get old Cisco/Netranger IDS boxes for ~$200ish add a hard drive and you're set, that gear is made to be turned on 24/7 for years. (yes this box is one)... I'll post a pic sometime.

-id

Date: September 13, 2006 02:54PM

An interesting article on VIA's new chip, 1.8ghz isn't bad at all...

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8508116370.html

-id

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.