Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
For any nonsense or banter that doesn't fit anywhere else. LoL! omg! ROFL! 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Another Hardware Advice Needed !!
Posted by: darknessends
Date: August 15, 2009 09:28AM

Hello Guys,

I hope u read the last post about my heating problem. I have not yet applied the thermal oaste, holidays are going here and thus markets are nearly closed. I ll do it soon and reply. But I want some advice here. I have the following options in my hand, please advice me which is better.

I have intel DG31PR board with intel D930 ( 3.0 Ghz dual core ) processor.
Please advice which is better for performance, my work is like on visual studio, graphics designing work like photoshop and fireworks, sometimes 3d modelling too using Zbrush, a lot of webhosting and internet related work, and light databases.

(i) Get a 2 x 2 GB = 4 GB RAM 667 Mhz in dual channel.
(ii) Get a 2 x 2 GB = 4 GB RAM 800 Mhz in dual channel.
(iii) Get a 2 GB 800 Mhz RAM (single stick ) and a Nvdia 8600 GT ( 256 MB DDR III or 512 MB DDR II )
( iv ) Get 2 x 1 GB 800 Mhz RAMin dual channel and a Nvdia 8600 GT ( 256 MB DDR III or 512 MB DDR II )
( V ) Get 2 GB RAM like above in dual channel or single stick with a 9600GT / 9800 GT.

Guys please advice me whats the most value for money according to you.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another Hardware Advice Needed !!
Posted by: id
Date: August 15, 2009 03:02PM

look at your ram usage when you're at your peak demand (most stuff open) and if you are running into memory constraints then the 800mhz is probably best, btw, 677 is no cheaper than 800, so that's a no brianer...

Only upgrade the graphics card if you are into gaming or doing serious 3d modeling, otherwise it just doesn't matter.

-id

Date: August 15, 2009 03:41PM

thanks id. I really find ur advices worth it. I am neither into serious gaming, nor yet into very serious modelling. But tell me that is 4GB ram worth ? or is it simply extra ?? will never be used ??

Date: August 15, 2009 04:11PM

The most cost effective upgrade is just getting 4gb of ram, you'll use it. $25...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178154

-id

Date: August 16, 2009 02:00AM

hey id, i am having another small doubt. Windows XP is recognizing on 3.2 GB of RAM, as it is maximum it can support. Now the rest 800 MB RAM which is no less is like unused. So what should I do ? Go for 3GB RAM instead and save money. Or is it the time to move on to x64 OS but those may create problems for me running my programs of 32 bit consuming more resources on x64, and a lot of driver problem might occur. Now what is your suggestion regarding this, i totally lost the point but I can actually see Windows XP doesnt recognizes anything beyond 3.2 GB.

Date: August 17, 2009 08:27PM

yeah you won't see it all, but really at that price it doesn't matter. You'll still get the most bang for the buck even at 32 bit. If you move to a 64 bit OS, you'll probably lose some performance unless you are really using all of your ram.

-id

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.