Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
For any nonsense or banter that doesn't fit anywhere else. LoL! omg! ROFL! 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Urgent Help - CPU Heating
Posted by: darknessends
Date: August 13, 2009 12:40PM

Hello guyz,

I just got my motherboard failure. It was Intel 945GNT and was out of warranty. The processor was intel D930 ( 3.0 Ghz, dual core processor ), with 1 GB of RAM.

Since the motheboard failed I have to get a new motherboard. The only board that accepted the processor and worked well was intel DG31PR, I had to change the RAM also therefore it has 2GB x 2 RAM installed, 4GB being the maximum it can support.

But I am facing a new problem now, the processor's thermal paste was removed by the guy and he cleaned it and fit it in the board without applying new thermal paste.

Now I am looking at temperatures and they are shooting 78-80-85-90 Celsius. I had to shut the PC off. My work is being seriously affected guyz. There is no other problem I see, please tell me what is happening, I never had such temp. problem, It used to give fine 40-45-50-Max 60 Celsius. Please tell me how to reduce it. Do you think there can be any problem in motherboard also ??

Please reply fast, and don't kick my ass, I know it might not be the most suitable place to ask this, but still I trust you people, and I know you can give me the best advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Urgent Help - CPU Heating
Posted by: id
Date: August 13, 2009 01:22PM

get some thermal compound and apply it, any computer store will have it. $5 max...should get it for less.

-id

Date: August 13, 2009 01:23PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100014

-id

Posted by: Spyware
Date: August 14, 2009 05:56AM

Be sure to check if the fan(s) is/are secured properly, too.

Posted by: rvdh
Date: August 15, 2009 07:04AM

Can't wait to see Thrill's answer ^_^

Posted by: thrill
Date: August 15, 2009 12:28PM

I actually found it redundant to reply.. obviously, cold battles heat, and cooling a CPU is done with either a fan or a nice heat sink.. both of which, as id suggested, require cpu paste..

There is of course the alternative to place a beer keg on top of the cpu, but that warms the beer up, and we definitely don't do warm beer. :)

--thrill

---

It is not the degrees you hold, but the mind you possess. - thrill

Date: August 15, 2009 03:00PM

most reasonable reply thrill has ever posted.

-id

Date: August 16, 2009 05:13PM

I must have been sober.. gotta stop posting while sober, it's bound to cause me to make a coherent sentence.

--thrill

---

Date: August 17, 2009 09:31AM

Hello id,

I got thermal paste on it. The temp. is now 65-75 b/w, in heavy workload like benchmarking it shoots around 85. But generally it is around 69-73. I still think its pretty high. What else could be done ? And yes the fan is also again installed with care.

Date: August 17, 2009 03:39PM

Oh My God !!
Oh My God !!
Oh My God !!

Now you guys need to seriously hear this story !! Am sobbing......Thrill you too.....

I had a chat with OFFICIAL CUSTOMER SUPPORT FROM INTEL.
They say Pentium D and Pentium Dual Core are different series of processors.
This board doesnt supports my processor, and they don't have any compatible board for me, they stopped making. And i said i tried DG41RQ, it did not accepted my processor why this did ? And they said.....like sir we can't say, its just running.

The max temp of this processor is 63.4 C and am like 67 even when nearly idle. And shoots around 88 when i rar something for around 45-90 seconds.

Now what to with heat?? New FAN, better thermal paste ? Or lets get a QUAD ??

Date: August 17, 2009 07:28PM

The right fan with a good heat sink might help.

It's all about heat dissipation, and the truth is that the new design for the fan above is pretty interesting and it looks like it might just do the job..

Another thing you might want to think about and research a little is the type of power supply you have.. you might need to upgrade it so that it provides cleaner power to the CPU which in turn makes it run more efficiently and always make sure that you have proper ventilation to your case.

If all that still fails, you need to research liquid cooling options, and no, I don't mean you need to get a beer for yourself.

--thrill

---

Date: August 17, 2009 08:28PM

yeah, a good fan is probably all you need, make sure you are pushing air out of the case too.

-id

Date: August 18, 2009 12:32AM

hey guys, i am really really confused. The fan is like on the 25% price of a Quad. If i buy a fan and it doesn't works properly will be a waste. I am like now fearing everything. I can't overload my PC.

Date: August 18, 2009 12:34AM

When the PC completes the boot it turns around 80C, and slowly it goes to 70C, whenever doing something that constantly engages the CPU it goes around 88-90 and more more.....keeps going on. The INTEL guys told me that the CPU will turn off around 95-100 by itsself. What to do ??

Date: August 18, 2009 01:23AM

well, let's see.. id and myself have about 50 years of combined hardware knowledge.. if neither of our answers satisfy your needs I really doubt anything else will.

you don't need to buy that specific fan, but obviously whatever you have right now is not working.. a bigger heat sink with a different fan pointed to it would also do the trick.. the point I tried to make is that you need to dissipate the heat from the CPU via heatsink+fan.

--thrill

---

Date: August 18, 2009 01:54AM

id + thrill = Respect.
That is why i post here first and later at anywhere else.

Did i quote i really took the processor out, got it cleaned, applied thermal paste and tighten the FAN. It controls the temp but still it is around 69C always and when i do something like compression for some seconds it goes around 80 and keeps on increasing.

I really care about your advice guys, really really. But I am in a small city, Fans like that are not readily available, I have to order one which will be delivered in a week. It is all about the mess and wait.

What do you think the professional heavy fans like this can provide definitely a solution and please reply running it on load around 90-100 will stop the CPU completely or not ?? And for my surprise even at 90-95C it is running at 3.0 Ghz.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/cooling_products/ocz_vendetta_2_cpu_cooler

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu/u120ex/product_cpu_cooler_u120ex.htm?art=MTQyMywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu/utm90/product_cpu_cooler_utm90.html?art=MTQyMywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Please check the fans, they can come on special order.

Date: August 18, 2009 09:52AM

I would opt for either thermalright (probably the 120 would be my first choice) fans, the ocztechnology seems like your typical fan that's been around for the past 15 years.

--thrill

---

Date: August 19, 2009 01:26PM

Hello Guys, I tried to get the heat sink, and a good fan. It is not readily available in the market and will take nearly 2 weeks to come. While on the other hand intel E5300 Dual Core processor which is cheaper than the heat sink, and passmark scores are 2.2 times higher to what i have is readily available to me, since it is 45nm thus it runs cooler and is fully compatible to my board, my warranty of motherboard is intact. I am also being offered exchange for my current processor for 42% less on this processor and my old 1GB 553Mhz RAM. So effectively it becomes nearly half of what I should pay for heatsink. And I get a 3 years warranty on this new processor.
So plz just tell me should I buy ? Because i dnt have to wait for a heatsink then. I know it is not latest but isn't that value for money and solves my problem too.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLB9U

AND I AM SORRY FOR IF YOU ARE IRRITATED WITH MY POST.

Date: August 20, 2009 11:19AM

Sounds like a good deal to me

-id

Date: August 23, 2009 12:58PM

Finally !! am done with my computer up. Processor is updated with E5300, and the board being a DG41 from intel, am happy.....Temp is now like 35-39 and even in load goes around 45-46.....max.....Am so chilled !!

Thanks id, thanks thrill, and everybody else thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.