Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
For any nonsense or banter that doesn't fit anywhere else. LoL! omg! ROFL! 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
EnEsE Job -- A foot deep and a mile wide?
Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: June 05, 2009 02:32PM

--Deleted by request--

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2010 10:01AM by rsnake.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EnEsE Job -- A foot deep and a mile wide?
Posted by: thrill
Date: June 05, 2009 11:18PM

I've recently interviewed for a security engineer position, and to be completely honest, I laughed at them when they actually told me "This is specifically a Security Engineer Position, it doesn't entail anything else"..

The reason I laughed is because any DECENT security engineer WILL have the basic knowledge that security does not mean a firewall and an IDS. Security encompasses everything between the wireless keyboard/mouse you use to the other side of the router. Every single server with whatever OS, all switches, routers, wireless access points. Whatever software you're using for WWW/SSH/FTP/Whatever. Everything.

Greatest quote I've read from Tom Wadlow (not sure he created it, but he cited it in his book) "Security is a process, not an event." It means educating your users as well as creating policies that protect the company as a whole.

Yes, it might be a pain to re-image every user's machine that's been infected by spyware/malware/phishware, but the benefit to the company is the knowledge that it IS secure.

So to answer your question.. yes, they need to excel at their job, otherwise they won't think of how next they're going to get hacked next.. they'll do what every single company in the world is guilty of.. knee jerk reactions. Fighting a fire instead of preventing one.

But of course, that was just my 2 cents, which in this economy is more like .017424 cents, but who cares. :)

--thrill

---

It is not the degrees you hold, but the mind you possess. - thrill

Posted by: Cagekicker
Date: June 19, 2009 10:13AM

I agree with ya, thrill. In today's economy, anyone's .02 is worth only .017424. :D But, on a serious note- it always annoys me when a company does that also (prevents the fire instead of always fighting it) and it's way too common, especially in today's world.

The other day, I was contacted by a company that saw my resume on monster.com- it was some sort of huge firm that saw "Active Directory Domain Admin" in my resume, and contacted me talking about wanting me onboard to create a smart card login environment through Active Directory or something. I said, "Uh, you need an ENGINEER for that, not a lil ol' Domain Administrator with a year of experience in AD, dude." What got me was it was in a state that I wasn't in my list of interested locations.

Here's a quote from when I was a prison guard and I even include it on my email signature block as a kind of security reminder to others- "Security is not convenient..." Which I could take into a whole different rant, but I don't wanna derail this thread. :)

TGIF!!!

--------------------------------------------------------
Regarding gun carry laws: I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by six...

Posted by: thrill
Date: June 19, 2009 11:59AM

@Cagekicker

HA! I like that quote! :)

But yes, the prevalent word for the majority of companies out there is "cheap" when they talk about security. It has to be a one time thing, or at worst, you know, one of those yearly security audits we keep hearing about. Heck, we got a firewall, we don't need a security guy in here every day.. hee hee..

As for the states you are interested in.. I get those too.. I get constant emails offering me short term positions from New Jersey (Joisee) to San Diego.. although, the other day I turned down a 1 year contract in Rio De Janeiro, not sure why I did that.. point being, I have it on dice saying "Will relocate? (N)".. :)

--thrill

---

It is not the degrees you hold, but the mind you possess. - thrill

Posted by: Cagekicker
Date: June 22, 2009 05:49PM

"We've got antivirus, no updated definitions and an unconfigured firewall- we're good!" *two thumbs up!*

Funny thing is...my locations of interest are pretty much determined by their gun laws. :D What can I say, I like my toys- and my rights. :oD I think the Infantry in me will never die out, haha.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regarding gun carry laws: I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by six...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.