Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
For any nonsense or banter that doesn't fit anywhere else. LoL! omg! ROFL! 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
1:45 to go
Posted by: thrill
Date: September 10, 2008 12:19AM

While I sit here counting down the time to the LHC turn on, figured I'd take a few secs to let you guys know that it's been a pleasure to learn from you.. and while not all of it has stuck, there are a few simple commands I've been able to use to test some sites. Hopefully we'll still be here this time tomorrow..

BTW, do you know what the best thing about being a pessimist is? You're either getting proven right, or you are pleasantly surprised. I hope to be surprised when I wake up tomorrow. ;)

--thrill

---

It is not the degrees you hold, but the mind you possess. - thrill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1:45 to go
Posted by: Gareth Heyes
Date: September 10, 2008 02:34AM

They call it the big bang for a reason, I thought these people were scientists!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.";
labs : [www.businessinfo.co.uk]
blog : [www.thespanner.co.uk]
Hackvertor : [hackvertor.co.uk]

Posted by: id
Date: September 10, 2008 10:18AM

with quantum immortality you can live through an infinite number of LHCs causing the world to end, so no worries.

-id

Date: September 10, 2008 11:50AM

Lucky for us, they're starting off with 'low power'.. so please allow 3 to 6 weeks for delivery of your own personal black hole.

--thrill

---

Date: September 10, 2008 09:09PM

They said it will be about a year before it reaches full power. I'm guessing the particles have to gradually be sped up and the process is slow. Either way I think this whole LHC is a bad idea. Its all based on predictions of what will happen and not about what could happen. I'd be surprised if it runs for a few weeks. I mean 17km in diameter literally millions of parts and components that can fail. All it takes is some bolt or resistor to fail and the whole thing can just shutdown or worse have the particle beam go off course. I guess mankind is destined to kill itself one way or another.

Date: September 11, 2008 12:14AM

The greatest argument I've heard from scientists is that this happens all the time out in space.. of course, in space there's quite a lot of 'space' available for these particles to go in whatever direction they want.. we seem to 'think' we can control where they go and how they react in a confined environment.. yeah.. that worked really well with caged wild animals.. because every one knows, a zoo animal has NEVER killed a patron of the zoo... :)

--thrill

---

Date: September 11, 2008 10:17AM

Other argument is if it does create a black hole it will evaporate instantly according to Hawking's prediction. Well I am going to make my own prediction, I can't be right or wrong since you know...its just a prediction. I predict it will create a black hole that will suck up all the stupid scientists, stop global warming, and bring world peace.

Posted by: Gareth Heyes
Date: September 11, 2008 10:36AM

On the plus side a mini blackhole could give us somewhere to put all our garbage

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.";
labs : [www.businessinfo.co.uk]
blog : [www.thespanner.co.uk]
Hackvertor : [hackvertor.co.uk]

Posted by: id
Date: September 11, 2008 11:25AM

Collisions like the ones that will take place happen a million times a day here on earth (and space), so no.

Anyway, she'll fix any problems

-id

Posted by: Cagekicker
Date: September 12, 2008 06:04PM

Gareth Heyes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On the plus side a mini blackhole could give us
> somewhere to put all our garbage

Haha, yeah..just make sure you tie off before taking the trash out!

--------------------------------------------------------
Regarding gun carry laws: I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by six...

Date: September 12, 2008 06:20PM

>> Anyway, she'll fix any problems

I don't use any tech support services such as Geek Squad or Firedog, but if their techs looked like that I would be scheduling repairs all the time =oP

Date: September 14, 2008 11:35AM

This is what happened a few seconds before the big bang.. ;)

--thrill

---

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.