Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
For any nonsense or banter that doesn't fit anywhere else. LoL! omg! ROFL! 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Perl/Python/Ruby
Posted by: Lemubi
Date: September 07, 2008 08:05PM

So, I've been working as a network admin for 5+ years, and I've done some web design, but I'm fairly new to security. I know there are already tons of tools and scripts out there to accomplish tasks, but I'm the kind of person who likes to design his own, or at least tweak others'. I know Metasploit was written in Ruby, but I've also heard that Perl and Python are good for creating tools for penetration testing, fuzzing, and the like.

So I'm asking you all, what are your opinions on these languages? Or do you suggest others?

I have previous experience in C++, Java, PHP, and Javascript.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Perl/Python/Ruby
Posted by: istari
Date: September 08, 2008 08:03PM

Of those three I can only code in Python, so I may be biased. I can tell you, however, that if you have previous experience in C++ then learning Python will be really easy, so you could just try it out and see if you like it or feel comfortable with it. I think the same goes for Java and Perl, so in the end you could learn at least those two and decide which one is better for your purposes later on...

In any case, all of these languages have pretty much the same features, and you'll surely find it amazingly easy to code snippets for the web if you tried it before in other lower level languages: HTTP requests can be made in one line (no dealing with sockets unless you really want to!), parsing and regex support is excellent, system functions can be accessed just as easily, and so on. I'd have to say Perl's user library is probably more complete than Python's or Ruby, but Python is probably faster to code...

Anyways, I think that if you know enough C++ and Java you should probably go for the language you feel is more different from those, as you'll probably want to complement them with each other, and do complicated tasks in the higher level languages, while doing computationally intensive tasks in the lower level ones (you'll soon notice the difference in speed is pretty impressive).

Good luck (and happy reading ;-D )

Posted by: Ivan
Date: September 10, 2008 02:59PM

Maybe this helps: http://sla.ckers.org/forum/read.php?11,13151 ;)

http://www.security-net.biz/

Posted by: Lemubi
Date: September 11, 2008 03:06PM

Thanks for the heads up. I've decided, based off of this advice plus advice of a good friend of mine working over at Sourcefire, to learn both Python and Ruby. I've started my trek with Python already, mixed in between college and CCNA study, and I plan to begin my reading up on Ruby later this month.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.