Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
For any nonsense or banter that doesn't fit anywhere else. LoL! omg! ROFL! 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Trucrypt Disk Error
Date: June 03, 2008 12:24PM

I just did full disk encryption on my laptop HD which btw is not even a year old. The encryption process errors and stops at around 99.22% so roughly 1GB is not being encrypted. The error message I get is:

Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

This is on a Windows XP Pro x64 so I ran checkdisk to find and fix any errors and still the problem persists. Is there anything else I can do short of replacing the HD? I don't want my laptop stolen with me having my pants .78% down =oP

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trucrypt Disk Error
Posted by: id
Date: June 03, 2008 02:49PM

I don't think it's likely that it encrypted 99.22% and is still accessing the other .78% unencrypted. It is probably either not accessing it at all or you have bigger problems.

First thing I would do is backup all of your data. Then I'd check the true crypt forums...

-id

Date: June 03, 2008 05:26PM

Is there a way for me to find where in the partition the bad sector is? If so can I make my primary partition extend up to bad sector then start my secondary partition after the bad sector? That way that bad portion is not used for anything.

The Trucrypt forums yielded nothing more than what I have already tried. =o(, I really don't want to get a new HD since mine is so new and I's poor.

Posted by: id
Date: June 05, 2008 02:03PM

get the drive manufacturer's disk checking program, most have one on their websites

-id

Date: June 05, 2008 02:20PM

Yeah I found 2 versions one that requires me to install .NET Framework which I don't want to do. The other requires a floppy drive to make a boot disk, but my laptop does not have a floppy. I'm looking into putting the floppy image on CD to boot.

chkdsk finds 4KB of data in bad sectors, and doesn't seem to fix them.

Posted by: MAdhaTTer-240
Date: July 20, 2008 08:47AM

CrYpTiC_MauleR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there a way for me to find where in the
> partition the bad sector is? If so can I make my
> primary partition extend up to bad sector then
> start my secondary partition after the bad sector?
> That way that bad portion is not used for
> anything.
>
> The Trucrypt forums yielded nothing more than what
> I have already tried. =o(, I really don't want to
> get a new HD since mine is so new and I's poor.

Thats what I was thinking. You can always backup the data and make you partition ~95% of the size it is.. may help. Try PQMagic or something similar, you can probably do it with out reformatting windows... PQMagic should let you resize an NTFS partition. gl

Posted by: Malkav
Date: July 20, 2008 03:37PM

you can't make your partition "95%" of disk size, and hope evading the shady clusters, 'cause in memories of old times, physical partitions are linear, even if the block allocation is virtualized by the disk since a loooong time. you're only hope is that the manufacturer does use the HBA for greater good, and a scrub will identify and isolate the bad clusters. then rebuilding the whole shit. on a more personal note, i tend to dump ASAP the disks with a too high LSE (latent sector error), just because those little bastards are probably going to give a last whine quickly, and get away with your stuff.

my advice : get a new disk, this one has a foot in the grave. redundant cyclic checks are the comparison between ondisk checksum of blocks and blocks themselves. if one fail, it's probably the entire disk that will go toast soon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

Date: September 03, 2008 06:35PM

My OS would not boot so I had to decrypt the disk to get to the data, but the bad sectors caused the decrypt process to fail. This made recovering the data impossible without full decrypt. What I did do was get a external USB drive and access my internal drive from Xubuntu LiveCD and then installed ddrescue and ran the following command:

dd_rescue -A -v /dev/(bad_drive's_name) /dev/(good_drive's_name)

This copied over the the data from the bad drive to my USB drive, where when it encountered a bad sector it would fill the data in with NULL. This then allowed me to boot up from the USB drive and run the trucrypt rescue disk and fully decrypt the drive and recover any data. Just thought I would post this bit of info in case anyone else has the same problem.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.