Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
For any nonsense or banter that doesn't fit anywhere else. LoL! omg! ROFL! 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
professional "collective masturbation" networks and slackers
Posted by: Malkav
Date: March 04, 2008 05:08AM

does anybody here use networks such as linkedin or whatever ? have you found them useful in your professional life ?

on a more sla.ckers PoV do you expect to see the same rise in social attacks on those kind of network as it rised on facebook/myspace/whatever-is-fancy-at-this-time ?

i am thinking of a threat model on this kind of network, and it ain't no reassuring...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: professional "collective masturbation" networks and slackers
Posted by: id
Date: March 04, 2008 06:04AM

I've been reacquainted with a few people via linkedin, and myspace has its uses...

of course attacks will rise as long as it is profitable to someone, and I don't see that changing with networking sites until users educate themselves (haha..) or the carrot is removed (and no I don't see how that would happen).

-id

Date: March 04, 2008 07:45AM

there's no point in going from myspace to my place if there's no carrot. or cucumber. or whatever blunt object she want.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

Posted by: Kyran
Date: March 04, 2008 08:32AM

Well, y'know, that there internet thingy is open 24/7 now. So y'can wander over there anytime.

Anyways, while we may be understanding attacks more and more, users are understanding less and less. Plus! There are more of them all the time.

So, instead of researaching WAS, I'm gonna go look at hot chicks on MySpace.

- Kyran

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: March 04, 2008 09:16AM

Damn Kyran you just opened my eyes. Let's go chick-spottn (I just quit my job too for more chick-spotting time)! :)

Date: March 04, 2008 09:36AM

.mario && kyran

between lusers and "hacker not sexy", looks like we selected the dumbest job on earth. just behind hazmat diver and elephant proctologist.

--Benjamin Franklin

Posted by: thrill
Date: March 04, 2008 11:44AM

The last head hunter that contacted me did so through linkedin.. but then again, this is the company that suddenly changed their mind when I pointed out the fact that it's extremely insecure and not private to have a 3rd party hosting your email.. the cto didn't like me pointing out how stupid they are.. oh well.. ;)

But other than that, no.. so I would say success rate is 0%..

besides, my linked in profile lists me as 'all around nice guy' and claims one of my old jobs as being "Head Custodial Engineer".. what does that say about the head hunter? desperate? heh

--thrill

---

It is not the degrees you hold, but the mind you possess. - thrill

Posted by: Matt Presson
Date: March 10, 2008 01:32PM

@thrill:

You could change "all around nice guy" to "ultra l33t haxor"! Maybe by the time they figure out what that means you will already be through the interview process and have the job. Just spin the job title to "Web Application Security Expert".

Posted by: thrill
Date: March 10, 2008 01:55PM

@Matt - only one problem.. I am about as much of an expert at Web Applications Security as I am able to travel back in time.

I was thinking something along the lines of "You are stupid and I will let you know it".. maybe that'll keep 'em off my back.. ;)

--thrill

---

It is not the degrees you hold, but the mind you possess. - thrill

Date: March 10, 2008 01:59PM

this was kind of a game a few month ago with a guy from HR, turning the real job, into an enterprisey title

ie : you ain't no torturer in guantanamo, you're a communication consultant detached to a large department, settling understanding problems with another department personnel

sound better hu ?

--Benjamin Franklin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.