Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
For any nonsense or banter that doesn't fit anywhere else. LoL! omg! ROFL! 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Change Management/Control
Posted by: thrill
Date: February 22, 2008 04:24PM

Hi guys. I know a lot of you work in a development environment and I've been racking my brain looking at google and freshmeat to see if I can find some sort of change management software.

What I am looking for is some simple web based application where let's say a developer would schedule a 'code push' to our live servers, this scheduled task would then get emailed to the 'management team' for approval. The email would include a link back to the webapp where the team could then approve or deny the request, if approved all is fine and done with, if denied a reason must be given and the change is now on hold.

I worked at a large hard drive manufacturer before, and we used something like that for all network changes. It made things nice to know in advanced when other networks I was connected to were going to make a change to their routers.

It would be nice to have the same type of system where I am informed when a change is about to take place that could bring our production site down.

Thanks for your input..

--thrill

---

It is not the degrees you hold, but the mind you possess. - thrill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Change Management/Control
Posted by: Malkav
Date: February 23, 2008 10:28AM

we have two change manager at work. JIRA for dev, and remedy change for general change (new boxens, new network etc..)

both are entreprisey to the bone. but they work

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

Date: February 23, 2008 12:35PM

We used remedy at my old job, but for a small start-up that's very tight with cash I can't justify getting it.. I was hoping for something open source. :)

--thrill

---

Posted by: id
Date: February 23, 2008 02:55PM

try achievo

http://achievo.org/

-id

Posted by: Malkav
Date: February 23, 2008 03:59PM

omg.

so OCS inventory NG, GLPI, and now achievo. i'm gonna love entreprisey software at this rate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

Date: February 23, 2008 05:28PM

Well, I installed it.. now I gotta mess with their ldap support because there's no way I'm creating 30 accounts and getting back to the multi-username, multi-password environment I've tried so hard to get away from.. :)

Looks nice so far though.. the trick will be getting people to use it..

--thrill

---

Posted by: id
Date: February 23, 2008 06:59PM

No one likes building the non-sexy open source stuff...

Achievo is decent though, and you of course can add to it if you don't like something...

-id

Date: February 24, 2008 12:16AM

Yeah.. my php skills are about as good as yours.. so why don't we collaborate on that.. I'm sure that by the turn of the century we might get past the good'ol <?php part and maybe have some code in there.. dork!

Lucky for me, we do have a really good programmer that might help me out with this one.. he helped me tweak MediaWiki so it would authenticate via AD a few weeks ago.. if only he had more time available.. heh..

--thrill

---

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.