Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
For any nonsense or banter that doesn't fit anywhere else. LoL! omg! ROFL! 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
lab setups
Posted by: trix
Date: September 29, 2006 07:46PM

Just curious what kind of lab setups you guys use and why you think its appropriate for your uses.

trix

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lab setups
Posted by: rsnake
Date: September 30, 2006 05:07PM

Are you asking about hardware/software/networking what? All play a component...

- RSnake
Gotta love it. http://ha.ckers.org

Posted by: id
Date: September 30, 2006 05:57PM

I lab with freebsd on a 2.1ghz amd box, 1gb ram, just bought a new video card 7200 to pimp out my 21in flat monitor....use enlightenment as my WM.

Keep a windows box next to it, and a laptop that I can switch out OSs on. My network lab is 2600s and a couple 1200 series routers, Openbsd running on a netra T1 with a QFE in it, so 6 ints to segment it.

-id

Posted by: trix
Date: October 02, 2006 01:40PM

i was thinking along the lines of hardware/ OS setups

trix

Posted by: rsnake
Date: October 02, 2006 04:24PM

The lab is slightly broken at the moment but:

Box 1) 800 Mhz AMD -> FreeBSD (rackmount - homebuilt and currently offline)
Box 2) 1200 Mhz AMD -> FreeBSD (rackmount - homebuilt)
Box 3) 1200 Mhz AMD -> Windows XP Professional (rackmount - homebuilt)
Box 3.5) VMWare (currently no OS - want to throw a copy of XP Pro in it for testing)
Box 4) 1200 Mhz Intel -> Windows XP Professional (laptop)
Box 5) 1000 Mhz Intel -> Windows XP Home (laptop - Girlfriend's POS that I use for testing anything that might crash a machine because it's got super cheap hardware that is extra vulnerable to DoS by exhaustion)
Box 6) 2000 Mhz Intel -> Undecided - had FreeBSD on it but then I re-installed Vista on it but realized my key was invalid so it wouldn't complete the install and now I've wiped it and haven't decided what to do with it since I don't have any more copies of Windows laying around. (laptop)

And what I need are probably two copies of XP Pro, and maybe some spare parts for Box #1 since it's currently turned off due to some hardware failure that I haven't had time to diagnose plus a copy of Flash (probably $2000 all in to fix the lab).

- RSnake
Gotta love it. http://ha.ckers.org

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.