Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
Bug reports, feature enhancements or other complaints with the site, with us or just tell us what a miserable existance you have. No death threats or poetry please. Just kidding, no poetry please. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
'new' tag for ha.ckers comments
Posted by: maluc
Date: September 12, 2006 01:41AM

Well it's a self explanatory thread title.. but some way to track new comments that people make to your blog posts would be nice. Obviously this could prove a pain to program, so maybe on a day you're really in a scripting mood.

If you do, the 'new' image on the main page, next to the comments link, is a given.. but also, a comments.php page which lists all blog posts (including old posts) on a single line each, with the 'new' ones marked can save alot of clicks, and server load, for checking if old posts were recently commented on. <--wow thats a long sentence

However, this has a complication of wut to do initially.. remark all 250 posts' comments as new? i'm a bit lazy to go load each archived post to clear the 'new' >.>

Anywayz, it's sounding like a glad-im-just-suggesting-and-not-coding-this idea ^^; but i think it'll help encourage feedback on the blog posts, even the older interesting ones.. who doesn't love discussion.

-maluc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 'new' tag for ha.ckers comments
Posted by: rsnake
Date: September 12, 2006 10:54AM

Interesting... I've seen plugins of that sort before... is the RSS system for comments not enough? http://ha.ckers.org/blog/comments/feed/

- RSnake
Gotta love it. http://ha.ckers.org

Posted by: maluc
Date: September 12, 2006 12:22PM

ah, i never noticed the rss feed for comments ^^; .. that should work fine enough for me then, dunno what others think of it

i really should use a different rss reader though, than the built-in firefox one. correct me if i'm wrong but i dont think it supports any auto-reload -.-

which rss reader is the nicest?

-maluc

Posted by: Kyran
Date: September 15, 2006 12:51PM

Since you are using Firefox, I suggest you look for the extension "Sage".

( On a side note, first post! )

- Kyran

Posted by: id
Date: September 15, 2006 01:36PM

Welcome to the board Kyran.

-id

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.