Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
The ha.ckers.org and sla.ckers.org web application security lab house rules and a place for you to introduce yourself if you like. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Insert witty title here.
Posted by: Anthem
Date: June 05, 2009 02:48PM

I'm no stranger to the internet, but only recently did I get the determination to learn something about security and anti-security. So here I am, starting with almost nothing (Knowledge of a few terms and limited knowledge of where to get more knowledge when I need it, barely know command line, etc.)

I learn quickly, but I haven't had ideas for how to get my foot in the door and learn the basics. I want to learn hacking, but from the bottom up, in a way that lets me UNDERSTAND what I'm doing, instead of pressing a button or entering a command and letting a program do it for me. I hope that this is the ethics of every community that would teach me, and if I may, I'd like to ask for some help.

Mock me if you want, but I'll say straight up that I'm a complete newb who'll look stupid until I know enough to teach myself at a decent rate. Thanks.

--
Can you hear them?

So much to learn, so little time...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Insert witty title here.
Posted by: barbarianbob
Date: June 05, 2009 09:45PM

Yes, the most important part is understanding how the program works. Once you've played around and gotten regular programs running, you can start experimenting deeper into the inner workings of the language.

If you're interested in web hacking, start off with learning html and css. Make sure you learn this correctly. There are plenty of tutorials that teach bad / obsolete practices. http://htmldog.com is a good / correct entry point. From there, enter into javascript. https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Guide is great for that. Once you have a feel of how javascript combines with html, start up on php and mysql. http://php.net/ has been an incredibly helpful function resource. Except a lot of the comments on each php.net page are made by people that don't know a thing about security (or are just stupid in general). If you have any problems / questions, ask here or at http://stackoverflow.com/ (at stack overflow, you'll get answers really, REALLY fast)

Don't get overwhelmed. Just take it a bit at a time. Again, my suggested order is:
0. html + css
1. javascript
2. php + mysql

As a conclusion, be sure you have a decent reason to hack. This isn't directed completely towards you, but other newcomers, since although it looks like you know what work lies ahead, others might approach it differently.
Here's my reason:
I want to have the most secure, impossible to break setup. In order to do this, I need to think like a hacker. I need to understand the inner workings of my language and its flaws as well as anticipate future problems. I didn't become a hacker to be a hacker. I did it to defend myself and others from hackers.

Posted by: thrill
Date: June 05, 2009 10:50PM

@Anthem

1) Obviously, you're not familiar enough with the "internets" as our elected officials call them.. you know, they're just tubes..

2) You actually know how to spell and punctuate properly, so in my book, you're already in. :)

Welcome aboard! There's some great people on this board. Ingenious people who have taken web security to an entirely new level. Even if it takes you months, go back and try to read all the old posts. You will quickly notice the people I speak of. They have a world of information between their ears, and reading what they write will definitely give you a leg up.

--thrill

---

It is not the degrees you hold, but the mind you possess. - thrill

Date: June 07, 2009 09:27PM

Some more questions. Is teaching myself the best way, or is it easier to have some active help from other people?

My reason for learning was that I didn't want to be left behind the times. I wanted to be at the front of the wave of technology, to understand and know it inside and out. And it would make a decent job sometime in the future.

Thanks guys.

--
Can you hear them?

Date: June 07, 2009 10:42PM

Is teaching myself the best way, or is it easier to have some active help from other people?

It depends on the type of person you are. Some people learn a lot more by doing themselves at their pace. Others require guided lessons to grasp things.

Your reason for learning doesn't sound like much of a motivating factor. People who are really good at hacking do so because for them it's a passion. They just really need to understand how things work (or better said, how things are supposed to work and what they can get away with). :)

--thrill

---

Date: June 08, 2009 06:07PM

Ah, I like learning to hack. It's been somewhat of an obsession to get around things for a while now, and only now did I start to learn how to do it without petty tricks and such.

Also, should I learn to operate some programs before delving deeper to see how they work, or should I learn code and mechanics first?

--
Can you hear them?

Date: June 08, 2009 10:25PM

@Anthem

YES! Install different operating systems, different versions of the systems, different software on each. When you have an understanding where each differing version likes to install files by default, you'll be better prepared to adjust your attacks to that specific system (i.e. you don't want to send redhat attacks to an OpenBSD machine).

So if you have a few old machines running around, set up a mini-hub, install different OS's and have fun.. hacking is very much like math.. someone can teach you one way to do it, but there are dozens of ways to come to the same conclusion. :)

--thrill

---

Posted by: Cagekicker
Date: June 09, 2009 04:04PM

Anthem Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm no stranger to the internet, but only recently
> did I get the determination to learn something
> about security and anti-security. So here I am,
> starting with almost nothing (Knowledge of a few
> terms and limited knowledge of where to get more
> knowledge when I need it, barely know command
> line, etc.)
>
> I learn quickly, but I haven't had ideas for how
> to get my foot in the door and learn the basics. I
> want to learn hacking, but from the bottom up, in
> a way that lets me UNDERSTAND what I'm doing,
> instead of pressing a button or entering a command
> and letting a program do it for me. I hope that
> this is the ethics of every community that would
> teach me, and if I may, I'd like to ask for some
> help.
>
> Mock me if you want, but I'll say straight up that
> I'm a complete newb who'll look stupid until I
> know enough to teach myself at a decent rate.
> Thanks.

Anthem, I think you'll find that everyone here is pretty much a professional and only mock those that come in here making a fool of themselves or asking for stupid things or whatever other reason they provide us reason for it. :D

I'm also new to the security world (computer security, at least) and have learned a lot by reading up on things, reading forums and basically just trying to piece everything together. The only problem with that is sometimes you'll piece together information that is no longer valid. But, along the same lines...ya gotta know where you've been in order to know where you are going. :)

--------------------------------------------------------
Regarding gun carry laws: I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by six...

Posted by: wireghoul
Date: June 10, 2009 06:53PM

Start reading rfc's...if you enjoy it it should naturally carry on from there...

[www.justanotherhacker.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.