Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
The ha.ckers.org and sla.ckers.org web application security lab house rules and a place for you to introduce yourself if you like. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Hello Sla.ckers
Posted by: thisSideUp
Date: December 08, 2008 12:37PM

Hey there,

My name is Nicholas. I'm semi-new to this site and coding in general. My degree is in mechanical engineering, but after landing a programming intensive project for my company a little over a year ago, they ported me over to the web-application development world... with 0 years of coding experience. I suppose they have faith, eh. OJT from my team and some company sponsored programming classes are all that fill my growing toolbox, including the SANS What Works in Web Application Security Summit back in June of this year in Vegas. It's there where my eyes were opened regarding web application security. Until then I had thought of hacking as someone beating against a firewall trying to gain access to a network. I never imagined how easy it is to go through the web app.

RSnake, if you read this post, I gotta tell you here (because I was too shy as a low level developer to tell you in person in Vegas), your presentation pretty much knocked me on my ass and made me run home to start pen-testing my apps looking for vulnerabilities. And that's why I'm here; to learn about the web app security beast that was, and still is, pretty foreign to me. It is my hope that my applications are better as a result of lurking here over the last few months. Thanks guys.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hello Sla.ckers
Posted by: Cagekicker
Date: December 08, 2008 03:12PM

Welcome!

--------------------------------------------------------
Regarding gun carry laws: I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by six...

Re: Hello Sla.ckers
Posted by: rsnake
Date: December 08, 2008 05:08PM

Indeed! Welcome! So you're the one guy who came to my preso! ;) I'm sorta always the bearer of bad news, but hey, if it even got one person thinking, then mission accomplished! I think you're story makes the case for why education is integral to growing into a solid webappsec person. Just having the title doesn't make you good - it's going and fixing your stuff! Anyway, thanks, and welcome!

- RSnake
Gotta love it. http://ha.ckers.org

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.