Cenzic 232 Patent
Paid Advertising
sla.ckers.org is
ha.ckers sla.cking
Sla.ckers.org
The ha.ckers.org and sla.ckers.org web application security lab house rules and a place for you to introduce yourself if you like. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Pages: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 13
Introductions
Posted by: rsnake
Date: August 19, 2006 09:20PM

Well, you all know me. But we may not know eachother. If you feel like it, let us know about you, your interests, etc....

- RSnake
Gotta love it. http://ha.ckers.org

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2006 03:38PM by rsnake.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Introductions
Posted by: WhiteAcid
Date: August 20, 2006 06:58PM

Hey everyone. You may have read some of my comments in the RSnake's blog. I'm WhiteAcid, owner of whiteacid.org

I spend a lot of time doing web development and hence my interest in hacking started off as learning how to best secure my applications, though now I enjoy web security for the sake of it.

You'll often be able to find me on criticalsecurity.net, hackbloc.org and their IRCs. Quite likely this will also be one of those places that I really shouldn't spend so much time on yet can't seem to get away from.

As a side comment, I love the url for this forum, sla.ckers.org is just genius, just that the /forum/ bit is a bit superflous.

Don't forget our IRC: irc://irc.irchighway.net/#slackers
-WhiteAcid - your friendly, very lazy, web developer

Date: August 20, 2006 07:10PM

Yah, I know... I should probably move it eventually, but I am thinking we might want other things on this domain other than just the forums on the index page. Maybe other things for lazy programmers. ;) We'll see how it goes.

Welcome!

Posted by: id
Date: August 21, 2006 03:22PM

Guess I should add something here...

I'm the one who hosts fthe.net/(ha/sla).ckers hardware, secures it, runs the mail server, web server, IM server...yeah someday.

I do corporate security consulting for the most part and futz around with side projects like this. Mostly a BSD/Solaris/Cisco guy, hate Linux!

-id

Posted by: trix
Date: August 21, 2006 04:03PM

I'm a part time web developer/student. I was pretty security ignorant before I came to this site.

Despite what id says i think linux is ok, cant figure out pf rather stick to iptables.

trix

Date: August 21, 2006 06:06PM

pf is about a million times more configurable/powerful than iptables, just takes the time to learn it...

I will post a tutorial/overview of how ha.ckers,etc is set up.

oh and linux sucks http://fthe.net/stuff/whylinuxsucks.html

-id

Date: August 21, 2006 06:26PM

hey id i use unix as well, it requires -n for tail. Then again you were using gentoo it makes people go nuts until they are pros at using it =)

trix

Date: August 22, 2006 06:53PM

Who wants to be pro at using an inferior product? Bah on Linux I say, BAH. btw, Redhat is no better when it comes to fucking things up, all of the distros have gotten away from the UNIX way of doing things because they have no perspective on why they were built the way they are in the first place...and they are catering to the damn kids on my lawn.

GET OFF MY LAWN YOU DAMN KIDS.

jk :)
-id

Date: August 22, 2006 07:14PM

I do have one major complaint about UNIX and Linux - universal hardware support. It haunted me on my very first debian install and it haunts me today. Usability and support is the reason Microsoft is ahead of everything else in the PC market. I'd gladly switch to whatever was easiest/most supported if there was an alternative. And if anyone here says Mac, I'm going to lay the sMACk down - they should have died with the Amiga.

- RSnake

Date: August 22, 2006 07:17PM

Amiga, dead? sorry no... http://www.aros.org/

The creator of Amiga OS (which by the way rocked at the time) works on dragonflyBSD
http://dragonflybsd.org which I have high hopes for!

-id

Date: August 22, 2006 09:55PM

uhh try booting windows on a new desktop, no ethernet card drivers by default where would a poor soul get ethernet drivers?!

Thank god for all in ones =p

trix

Posted by: Lockdown
Date: August 22, 2006 11:43PM

eh, I should defend Linux against ID's attacks, but I honestly have no experience with BSD's, etc. so I have nothing to stand on. At least I'm open about it ;). Slackware still kicks ass.

What's up homes? I'm Lockdown, 14 Year Old self-taught computer nerd out of San Francisco, California. If anyone is local, hit me up. I'm from CS.net/HTS/Hackbloc mostly though I float around other hacking-related communties as well.

I don't claim to be the most knowledgeable person here, but it's been said that I'm pretty good with teh PHP, and security is fun.

-Lockdown-

http://www.rawrcore.net

Posted by: hackuin60s
Date: August 23, 2006 12:13AM

Hi all,
I am hackuin60s from India. I am intrestead in Network & its security issues,as webservers and its application's are the part of the network's, I thaught web-application's and its security issues are soo inter-related with network, should be conserned Part of me. I honestly Came to know about this website and Mr.Rsnake by the -Administrator of Criticalsecurity.net ( WhiteAcid -- Thank You). Its allot information over here beautiful concepts and issues of XSS. I am working as Network Administrator for a small company over here.

My personal defination about the Network Security is,
Network security is like a fish, as dirty as the water is its more difficult for a fish to survive, simlar to that as dirty as our network configuration are or any security products like firewall or IDs etc.. are badly configured, in a sence as dirty as network security paremeter is its more difficult for our security to survive.

As Lockdown i have never pwnd any single N00b's or anything like that !!
Sometime i tell lie as well ;)

-- hackuin60s !!

Date: August 23, 2006 03:20AM

Welcome to the forums guys

I used to use slackware for my quake2 server back in the day, 2 phone lines where friends could dial in and play...feel so old...fear my 28.8k modems.

-id

Date: August 23, 2006 10:55AM

Damn gramps...

then the Revolutionary War broke out and all your computers were confiscated so they could be melted down to make musket balls or something right?

How old are you?

Date: August 23, 2006 11:18AM

Musket balls? Pfft, bow and arrow is more likely. ;)

Date: August 23, 2006 11:42AM

Lockdown they are this old.

Date: August 23, 2006 11:51AM

No way, I'm this old: http://ha.ckers.org/images/RSnake.jpg

- RSnake

Date: August 23, 2006 12:17PM

In that case I'm this old:

Date: August 23, 2006 07:22PM

I feel so young... shiit... I'm only 14.

Anyway, quick security recommendations: Make links posted by users open on separate pages (<a href="URL here" target="_new">Link</a>). And damn homes, make your own filter... htmlspecialchars doesn't get ' . or ().

That's all homez

Posted by: xandi
Date: August 24, 2006 08:42AM

Hey,

I'm Alex, student of computational intelligence in Vienna/Austria, about to start with working on my master's thesis which will be (mainly) about bot detection.
I'd still consider myself a pure C++ developer, although just recently I stepped into the world of web development using Mason, and, I do quite like it. I was active in some FOSS projects, especially as founder of the long since dead 3Dsia-Project.

I have some web-projects in my mind which I am implementing right now, and of course want to learn more about security than my C++ experience tought me. (I've read of some nasty things here on ha.ckers.org!)

xandi

Date: August 24, 2006 10:04AM

xandi, welcome. What in particular are you interested in learning about regarding bot detection? I myself have a massive collection of robot signatures that I have compiled and scored (preliminariliy). Can you give me some more details, we might be able to help eachother out.

- RSnake

Posted by: bensonwu
Date: August 24, 2006 09:51PM

hello folks, this is Benson from Taiwan, I am working as a security consultant at a Web application security company and at the same time doing my thesis on spyware detection. I enjoy reading stuffs on ha.ckers.org, and just noticed this forum and would like to say hi to you guys.^^

Date: August 24, 2006 10:31PM

Welcome Benson... I'd be curious to hear about what you are working on and how it applies to some of the stuff on ha.ckers.org. Again, welcome!

- RSnake

Posted by: pheusion
Date: August 25, 2006 03:31PM

Hello everyone...

Came accross your site (Via way of Jeremiah's blog) and thought I would join up....

I have been working with *Nix and security administration most of my professional life. Unfortunately being a Sec admin is far from the excitement that the "other" side seems to have, so I am just educating myself on that end and reading as much as possible.

Thank you for having such an interesting and entertaining site, much much more enjoyable then the likes of say, seclists or whatnot. For some reason, the way you guys put the knowledge accross perks my interest everytime. So here I am, trying to learn and saying Hi.

Hi!

P.S: Bah, I DO use Nix, but I also use *BSD, I would be a liar if I said I didnt love my Auditor CD...

Flame away

=)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2006 03:32PM by pheusion.

Date: August 26, 2006 12:11PM

hahah, Hi, Pheusion! Welcome!

I completely agree with you... having worked on the security end and having worked with the more blackhat side, I think these techniques are useful to both and way more interesting than writing ACLs or snort rules.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the next year or so. Lots of interesting stuff on the horizon.

- RSnake

Posted by: blad3
Date: August 26, 2006 05:00PM

Hi guys,
Just came back from a short vacation. Good times:P
I'm from Romania, working as a programmer. However, I think all my programs were related with security in some way or another. Doing security stuff for 8 years, maybe more. Web security for just 2 years, so I'm still new in this field.
On my laptop I have Windows XP + Ubuntu (since today).
Our servers are running FreeBSD and OpenBSD.
OpenBSD rocks when it comes to security and pf is by far the best firewall I have used.

Short true story: So, I was installing Ubuntu on my laptop at some friend to make some tests with mod_security, hardenedphp and some other stuff. I didn't used Linux for a very long time (one year) because of lack of time and motivation. His internet connection didn't work at that time for some unknown reason. Just finished the installation and noticed a small icon "There are 5 updates available!". And I was like: WTF?! Linux has evolved a lot since last year! Last time it was not even capable to detect my wireless drivers on laptop but now it even found internet on some neighbor. Pretty neat stuff:P

Posted by: Girzi
Date: August 26, 2006 06:36PM

Buna blad3 !
Romaniiia =) my origins are romanian (parents), I can speak romanian too ;)
Anyway it's cool =) Welcome here I'm sur you'll enjoy the board : )

Posted by: thrill
Date: August 27, 2006 03:09PM

hi all, currently I'm head custodial engineer, and double as shift manager at 7-11, would you like a super slurpee?

every OS has it's purpose and strengths.. plain and simple. I run both linux (slackware/gentoo) and openbsd on my servers. but I also run windoze for my desktops... so as long as it gets the job done, who cares if it's a suzuki or a honda? oh yeah.. id does.. lamer! ;)

--thrill

Date: August 27, 2006 06:11PM

hahah, suzuki or honda? No thanks, fararri for me. ;)

Pages: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.